Is CleanMyMac any good?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 inch iMac - Ventura. iPhones 8 and MacBook Air - Catalina.
Hi Happy New Year to all our members. I have just come across CleanMyMacX and I wonder if is is any good? I am running Ventura 13.1.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Happy New Year to all our members. I have just come across CleanMyMacX and I wonder if is is any good? I am running Ventura 13.1.

Short answer, Keith is - not for you!

Why? The problem is that used really sensibly by someone who is well versed in computer matters, the "dangers" can be avoided and there are potential benefits.

But, there have been numerous complications and difficulties, in some cases leading to data loss or computer hang up - and these have very largely been in the hands of people with limited appreciation of what that app is doing and how it is doing it.

I include myself in that category. So, when someone innocently asks whether this is a reasonable product to own - I worry.

My advice, Keith, I hope without offence, is leave it well alone.

Ian

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello Ian, I am getting a lag after clicking on a subject to open for reading and am wondering if that software might help. It is restricted by the fact that I cannot remember the password to open 'full disk access' and I cannot see anywhere to arrange a new password. As I get older my memory gets worse and worse! that means I cannot even download Onyx,

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello Ian, the reason behind the enquiry is I am getting a long wait before a selected item is being downloaded for reading. I came across the software whilst messing tintanet. I am very pleased I posed the question. Thanks for the advice, I could not download it because I cannot remember the password get into full disc access. as I get older my memory get quickly worse and worse, in this case probably for the good but very frustrating, Keith in Derby England

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ian, sorry I forgot I had already posted a reply!!!

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
First off, Keith: You can download OnyX app from the Developer from here:

Be absolutely sure that you get the version for your Mac's Operating System (OS). There is a version for each OS.

Secondly, given your generous and self-effacing comments about your memory and suchlike, that enhances my opinion that CleanMyMac is not for you.:);)

As regards "Full Disk Access", this should be given to an app after due consideration. As you are running macOS High Sierra, Full Disk Access is not managed in the same way as later OSs.

System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Click on Privacy > Accessibility and on the Right you will see "Allow apps below to control your computer". That's where you give permission. And to do that, Click on the Padlock (bottom Left) input your Admin Password; then Click on the "+" on the right, then navigate to your Applications Folder in Finder, choose the App and click on Open and this will insert that App into the list.

But maybe you don't need that now?

Ian

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ian, I am running Ventura 13.1 and following your instructions regarding System preferences I still cannot recall my Password. How do I set a new one please?
Keith.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Be absolutely sure that you get the version for your Mac's Operating System (OS). There is a version for each OS.

Secondly, given your generous and self-effacing comments about your memory and suchlike, that enhances my opinion that CleanMyMac is not for you.:);)

If I dare say so, I would tend to put Onyx.app into the same category.

- Patrick
=======

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ian, I am running Ventura 13.1 and following your instructions regarding System preferences I still cannot recall my Password. How do I set a new one please?
Keith.

Hi Keith,

Are you saying that you cannot recall your Admin PW - the PW that you use to log in to the Mac; the PW that you use every time there is an update, the PW you use every time there is a new, or update or upgrade to an App?

That's what an Admin PW is. I wonder if you are thinking of a different PW.

But if you really mean your Admin PW - yes, there is a way, but I have to tell you that creating a new Admin PW means that your Keynote PW and all its passwords would be lost.

Reconsider. Are we both talking about your Admin PW?

Ian

Last edited:
OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good morning Ian, I am now at a complete loss as to what I am trying to do and why! I have tried the Admin password to no avail as with any other password I have- every one fails the task. So I think I will have to live with the long wait to read any article I try to open for reading. Thank you for helping me Ian, I really do appreciate it. Another thing that I have yet to Learn to live with is that my wife Mavis now suffers from Dementia and lives in a nursing home a few miles away. I visit two or three times week in a taxi costing almost £100 per week. Life is a b***h!!!!!!

Regards from Keith in Derby England

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am now at a complete loss as to what I am trying to do and why!

Been there myself, Keith. If I may: let's start from the beginning.

So I think I will have to live with the long wait to read any article I try to open for reading

OK. Let's start there. What kind of article and what method are you using to access and read the article? For example: Do you use a reading app? Do you access the reading material via Safari?

Pretend I'm sitting next to you and take me through the steps you take from the moment you open the Mac through to the point where you meet a "road block" as it were.

And when you reach the point where, I presume, you are asked for a PW - tell us who or what is asking for the PW - an app, an internet site, what?

Ian

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ian, thank you for your continued interest on my problem. When I am on Safari and see an article I think will be of interest to me I Click on it to open it, I then have to wait minutes for the article to come on screen. Above the blank page there is a thin blue line that progresses from left to right showing the progress of the download, I get a quick start of about one inch of blue line, then it stops for what seems an absolute age before any progress is made. Sometimes it just sits there and does not move at all, I then become stressed out. I THINK I need onyx to clear things out of my computer, cookies etc, but I am not sure. I then go into the Onyx page and download it. I am then informed I need to give permission to open Full Disk Access. I see the give full disk access and click on it, then I get the request to enter my password. I hope that points you in the right direction.
Keith.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So it's a Safari problem really? Takes ages to find the appropriate page?

You can do some things yourself to help:

Firstly, Open Safari then use the Keyboard shortcut - Command plus comma to take you into Safari Preferences. Click on "Advanced", last heading on the right.

Then right at the bottom, tick "Show Develop menu in menu bar":

S1.jpg

Next: up in the top Menu Bar in Safari, Click on "Develop".

Now Click on "Empty Caches"

S1.jpg

That will, as it says, remove/empty all of Safari's caches. That will free up Safari such that you'll be starting afresh.

NB This means that when you log in to certain sites, you will need to input your login details and password again.

Lastly, Shut down your Mac (Click on Apple icon , far left in Top Menu Bar) and Click on "Shut Down", which it will do. Wait for, say, 5 minutes then restart your Mac.

Then feed back to us. I'm confident that this will "re-energise" your Safari app.

Ian

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ian, Thank you for the assistance give here, it seems to have done the job! I will ask another question here, I have received a 'private message' and I do not know how to reply, could you please point me in the right direction?

Keith

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A Private Message is just that - from one member to another. No one else sees it.

At the bottom, on the right side is the option to "Reply". Click on that, say what you wish and then Click on "Post Reply".

It behaves in exactly the same way as in the public Forums - the only difference is that it remains Private.

Ian

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ian, thank you for that, I will try and remember it.

Keith

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.