Is anyone else finding it difficult to download iOS 8?

Reaction score
I have the latest iPad mini retina and I'm attempting to upgrade it to iOS 8. Previously, I successfully updated my iPhone 4S to iOS 8.

For the past three days, I've been trying to get the upgrade started (via iTunes) and I keep getting a very long anticipated download times (>40 hours). When I let it go, the download times out.

I've not seen much chatter about this or is there something else wrong. I have about 13 GB left on the device.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If possible try another connection to do the download. The download is not that large and actually should only take a short time. The installation takes way more time than the download itself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Unfortunately, you're not alone as many sites will attest. See this as just one example:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6545286?start=15&tstart=0

What you can try if it's giving you a long time estimate, pause the download and then try a resume several minutes later, and you may need to repeat that process several times.

PS: There have been many posts to possibly doing the update with 4S devices due to the overall slowness go the newer OS 8, but you've already done that, so I hope it works for you.

You can always revert it to iOS 7.x if you did a backup and while Apple is still signing the older iOS 7 install. Just in case you get fed up with the new iOS... ;)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You can get the iOS 8 firmware updates from here which requires you to install it manually but it might be quicker. If you do it that way, make sure to backup your phone first just in case.

OP
C
Reaction score
I've tried restarting and pausing the downloads numerous times, with no success. I've checked my Net speed (> 40Mbps down and up).

So, the bottom line is that its simply very slow. My guess is that the Apple servers are totally undersized for the download volume coupled with the 2.05 GB download package. I'll wait a few days and see what I can see.

Seems like a reasonable assumption given that roughly half of iOS devices are now running iOS 8.

Thanks for everyone's help!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If it was Apple's servers, they seem to be fine now - I was just getting 1+MB/sec downloading the iPhone 6 variant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
You can get the iOS 8 firmware updates from here which requires you to install it manually but it might be quicker. If you do it that way, make sure to backup your phone first just in case.

Those links just go to Apple's servers, so I doubt they'll be any faster if they're busy.

And they sure must have been this time last week as I had to download the 4+GB 10.6.8 COMBO Update for a client and it took over seven hours on a normal fast 25+Mbps download speed. Painful, but bad timing to access their servers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.