Is an older iPad still usable today?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
I have an older iPad that hasn't been used in a few years. I ordered a new charging cable since the old one has long since disappeared. If I can get this thing to fire up, is it still usable? I'd like to use it for simple things like email, the book of faces, moderate web browsing, and reddit. Nothing demanding like photo editing just casual use so I don't have to use my computer as often. I don't remember much about it, it was my wife's but I'd say probably 1st or 2nd generation.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Depending on the age of the iPad, it'll obviously be slow compared to the current gen iPads. But if you don't mind that, then use it. How "usable" it is entirely depends on you and what apps you want to use.

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
Depending on the age of the iPad, it'll obviously be slow compared to the current gen iPads. But if you don't mind that, then use it. How "usable" it is entirely depends on you and what apps you want to use.
I'm not worried about speed. Waiting 1 or 2 seconds as opposed to instant is a non issue. I don't recall it being terribly slow. How about current operating systems and what will it take to clean the drive?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iDevices (iPod, iPad, iPhone, Wastch) all work a bit differently than a Mac. You can update the iPad to the latest version of iPadOS that it supports and leave it at that. Now there'll be a handful of apps that won't work with that version of iPadOS and won't be available in the App Store, but anything that's available there can be installed and used.

So charge it up and see how it fares for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
How about current operating systems and what will it take to clean the drive?
NO drive. If you don't want an app that's installed, delete it. If there are files on it you don't want, delete them. If you want it back to factory fresh, you can do that as a system reset. Depending on what version iOS is on it, or will go on it, how to do that varies.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Let us know what you have once it's working. If you cant login that's a different issue.

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
NO drive. If you don't want an app that's installed, delete it. If there are files on it you don't want, delete them. If you want it back to factory fresh, you can do that as a system reset. Depending on what version iOS is on it, or will go on it, how to do that varies.

I probably should have said storage rather than drive. It was my wife's and I doubt there was even a password on it, so I should be able to log in once it's charged enough to do so. I assumed I can delete files and programs, I was just thinking it would be easier if I could just wipe everything in one move and start with a factory fresh unit. Once I get it fired up and know what iOS it's using I'll have a better idea what to do, although I'm sure I'll be back here because I've never used ANY iOS device.

I've been waiting over a week for the charging cord, can't do much until it arrives. 🤷

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Once you do get in, go to Settings->General and at the bottom you should be able to reset the iPad back to factory settings. Then set it up and check to see if there are any updates to the OS. Do that and then install apps you want/need from there.

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Once you do get in, go to Settings->General and at the bottom you should be able to reset the iPad back to factory settings. Then set it up and check to see if there are any updates to the OS. Do that and then install apps you want/need from there.
Sounds easy enough, even for me. 😎

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm. Fully charged, fired it up, cleaned system, but I can't get it to do anything.
version 5.1.1 (software is up to date)
Model MB293LL
wifi connected

No access to app store, unsupported browser, etc

Oh well, the cheapskate in me is foiled again.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, that's the original iPad that was released 13-14 years ago. I had pretty decent luck with my iPad 2, but it's just so painfully slow to use. I can't imagine the original iPad compared to the current crop of iPads.

When you say no app store, what does that mean? There was an app store on the device on launch, so it should show something?

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is an App Store icon on the unit, but it simply won't allow access. I get a message that says "cannot connect to iTunes Store, with no explanation YouTube won't run, it says to update the browser. When I open Safari, regardless of the web site, I get a message saying the browser must be upgraded. Same goes for Facebook.

It was worth a shot. Too bad, it's like new. I was just hoping I could do email and web browsing, FB, etc. I'm TRYING to limit computer use because I can't afford a new computer in the future.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The browser thing is valid. And the way to avoid that is to grab a newer browser, and for that you need the App Store.

Try the things from this article to see if any of it helps you get past the App Store issue.

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The browser thing is valid. And the way to avoid that is to grab a newer browser, and for that you need the App Store.

Try the things from this article to see if any of it helps you get past the App Store issue.

Most of those issues don't apply, and the one's that might, require App Store access. Funny, when you mentioned painfully slow, I just chuckled to myself. You computer guys hate waiting for anything. I remember using this machine 10 or 11 years ago, and it never seemed slow to me. 🤣 I can access google, but none of the links to restoring iPad Gen1

Thanks for the link though. NOW I'm all paranoid about my MBP being the last of the intel machines and when will it become unusable. I accept the reality of equipment failing, but this thing is like new and I hate being a victim of planned obsolescence.

I'm only out the $5.00 for the new cable.

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I went to the apple community page and apparently there has been no access to the App Store from iOS version 5.1.1 since at least 2018 !! It definitely looks like I'm S.O.L.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I went to the apple community page and apparently there has been no access to the App Store from iOS version 5.1.1 since at least 2018 !! It definitely looks like I'm S.O.L.
I can imagine that things do move on at some point. But that at least answers that question.

My iPod Nano is kinda in the same boat. That device is awesome for travel and gave me a scare recently when it failed to sync music with my M2 MBA. Thankfully, a bunch of power cycles got it working again. I'd be really unhappy when this thing really dies, but with the phones now acting as a single device for everything, these single use devices are going extinct.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
is the device iOS updateable at all? Are you signed in with your Apple ID?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is the latest version of iOS (before it became iPadOS) that this device supports. Should be able to access the app store without signing in..

JesseMorrison

Reaction score
I have a 2nd generation iPad and it's not only working, but also you can use it even though it's freezing a lot, but you can still watch a movie without any problems. I am addicted to iPads and can't watch anything on the phone and don't have a TV, this is why I decided to check if my old iPad was still working and also use it just to watch a movie in the evening. I was shocked to see that it not only turned on after more than 4 years of being off, but except freezing it had no other problem, I could watch youtube, even a movie on Chrome.

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
is the device iOS updateable at all? Are you signed in with your Apple ID?
That is the latest version of iOS (before it became iPadOS) that this device supports. Should be able to access the app store without signing in..
Unfortunately, it does not appear to be updatable.

No access to anything. I do have an Apple ID, I'm signed in. The error simply says "cannot connect to iTunes Store" I also have the wifi on. If I start Safari, google will list links but I can't open them because I get an error stating that it "Safari cannot open the page because it could not establish a secure connection."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.