iPone hidden Vampire setting?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
OK, please don't blame me for the horror headline. It's an article in the Daily Mail, one of the U.K's 'newspapers' and mnot too well known for being modest, well I suppose they can be at times by not letting the truth getting in the way of a good story?

There was a story, link below, about a hidden setting on the iPhone that eats battery time. I have an iPone SE 3rg gen and I have tried and failed to find this setting on mine. Does anyone know what this is all about and if it is on my phone just where it is 'cause I can't find it?

iPhones-hidden-vampire-setting-responsible-significant-battery-draining-heres-check-phone-affected.html

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
John

This is - what's the word - eh - mustn't swear - Ah, got it; it's a Terminological Inexactitude.

Wi-Fi Assist is there: Settings > Mobile Data > Scroll down to near the bottom > Wi-Fi Assist

This is an option whereby if WiFi connectivity is poor, you can choose to allow Mobile Data to be used.

That's pretty clear. No, or poor WiFi - can't connect. Okay, your choice: do you allow Mobile Data to be used. Switch it Off or On.

I chose it to be On and in almost 2 years of owning the iPhone, only 118 MB has been used by Mobile Data. That's not a big deal and worth it rather than having no connection.

It must have been a "quiet day" for the newspaper. Yes, WiFi Assist is there, but you have a choice - loose connection if WiFi poor or nil - or default to Mobile Data.

Ian

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Found it Ian, thank you. I know how I missed. I read the first para

"To see it for yourself, head to the 'Settings' menu before tapping on the 'Mobile Data' tab."

And then assumed that the setting was not in the mobile data tab and couldn't find it when I scrolled down. Silly me?

The Mail is always busy as you should know Ian. How would the world know about the so called celebs who are breaking up/having it off with other than their own and showing off all the bums and boobs and baby lumps?

It was SHMBO who pointed the article out and said it would be worth a look, so I obeyed :unsure: There was another article about the little yellow triangle that would appear if yer charging hole got wet too, but I decided that it was totally obvious to dry the unit out completely and not plugging the cable into a wet socket, but that is the Mail init.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
Just looked at my iPhone, and WiFi Assist is on and has used 28.4 MB, i don't think that will break the bank ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Mine is on, used 186K in about a year. The article was click-bait.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.