iPod Not Connecting to Computer

Reaction score
I just got an ipod from a friend, he said it works just fine, he gave it to me without a price, however he joined the Army and I cannot contact him. Anyways, I have both the cable and ipod nano 1stgen, I updated both my itunes on my mac and pc, and it isnt connecting. On windows I get the error from windows that it can't read the USB connected device. On mac, it does nothing. Anyone help me out, this is my first ipod.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Assuming you don't have the owner's manual for it, my first suggestion would be to go to the support area at the Apple website and get a copy of it. You'll need to "reset" your iPod.

I just purchased a reconditioned 2nd gen Nano, and it was formatted for Windows. It wouldn't connect to my MacBook. A quick reset was all it needed to be recognized by my Mac and iTunes.

Good luck and hope this helps!

Reaction score
I just got an ipod from a friend, he said it works just fine, he gave it to me without a price, however he joined the Army and I cannot contact him. Anyways, I have both the cable and ipod nano 1stgen, I updated both my itunes on my mac and pc, and it isnt connecting. On windows I get the error from windows that it can't read the USB connected device. On mac, it does nothing. Anyone help me out, this is my first ipod.

Thanks!

I don't know where you are plugging it in but I had a similar problem when I plugged it into the keyboard. I changed it and plugged it in elsewhere and now it works fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
I would start here.

Solving iPod Issues (also known as iPod 5 R's)

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303940
VirtRep!!!!
icon14.gif

OP
W
Reaction score
Is there a way to format an ipod to its original state without connecting it to a computer?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.