iPod Newbie in Need of Clarification!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Hello All, I hope that u are having a Splendid Memorial Weekend.

I recently acquired my 80GB iPod Video, and I love it.

For some reason I hooked it up to my MacBook and it didn't Sync with iTunes (Didn't show that it was attached not even in the Finder) so I did some digging and I found the procedure for a Reset and that Cleared the DON'T DISCONNECT screen on the iPod that didn't want to go away.

After that I was able to sync with no issues, and I though all was good but then after I Synced I left it hooked to my MacBook so that it would fully charge. I took forever and didn't wanna fully charge with the Blinking Battery Sign and the Lightning rod on it. I pressed and held down the pause button to turn it off and then it took a bit longer until it gave me the Solid Green Battery with the Plug on it.

What is going on is there a certain protocol for charging the iPod or there is something wrong with my new Black iPod?!!

Please help

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess no one encountered such an issue?!

I am hoping it was just a hiccup and nothing else. but if u think differently please let me know

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thats what I guessed to be the trick to get it to charge. But honestly. That is kinda lame :( and disappointing.

I should have the ability to just have my iPod Plugged in to my MacBook to be charged and be able to use it in the same time. Don't u think?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
By use it you mean the iPod ? why when iTunes can run in the background ?
Or do you mean use you Macbook ?...Sorry just trying to figure out what you are trying to do :D

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry for the Confusion :D

I meant the iPod. I'd rather be listening out of my iPod and not hog any memory on my MacBook (I got 2GB which is plenty, but still).

I think I just got freaked out thinking that my iPod was defective but as long as its rockin' :Cool: am fine.

But thanks for ur help regardless.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
Have fun with your iPod. Save for a dock or one of the endless iPod systems you can see all around these days :D
Then you can use it while you use your mac and charge it at the same time ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Your iPod was in "Manual" sync mode, that is where the flashing "Do Not Disconnect" came from. Mine do it all the time since they are all in Manual Mode. It didn't show in the finder likely because it had come out of Disc Mode. You can put it back into disc mode by plugging it into your MB, resetting it (Apple + MENU) and then put back in disc mode by pressing and holding MENU + PLAY (While the APple logo is still on the screen) until the iPod mounts. Then you can put it back in Auto Sync mode.

HERE is a nice guide for the button actions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Sorry for the Confusion :D

I meant the iPod. I'd rather be listening out of my iPod and not hog any memory on my MacBook (I got 2GB which is plenty, but still).

I think I just got freaked out thinking that my iPod was defective but as long as its rockin' :Cool: am fine.

But thanks for ur help regardless.

Cheers

Unless you're running a million different programs at once, I don't see iTunes slowing down your computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3 MacBook Air 1.7 i5 - also, Mac Mini and dead 12in iBook G4 (RIP)
I have had similar problem...

my iBook has 2 USB ports... if I plug the iPod into one, it syncs properly, launching iTunes with the iPod logo showing in the sidebar, syncing and then allowing me to eject it... no probs

however... if I forget which USB port works properly and accidentally plug it into the wrong one, the iBook will still charge the battery and the iBook also has the Do Not Disconnect message but doesn't register with iTunes, show on the desktop or anything... if that happens, I have to unplug it and do the "Hold switch" reset...

No idea why this should be, but it seems that one of my USB ports works properly with my iPod and the other doesn't...

maybe you have something similar

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting I think thats the same way I have it.

Because the first time around that it worked with no issues it was on a different USB port than the time that gave me problems.

Did anyone else have the same problem on an iBook or a MacBook?!

Reaction score
I had that same problem too... I had a lot of luck by enabling the iPod for disk use in the summary tab. Each time I plugged the iPod in the MacBook seemed to recognize it and load it much faster, and was much more responsive. Hope that helps.

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey MrsButtersworth,

Thanks for the Tip, I actually did try that last night and it worked perfectly fine.

I appreciate ur tip, and welcome to the Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey! love the new Avatar Mina...Looks familiar to me :Cool: :Cool:

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL... wow I didn't realize that till now. Thanks ;D

Even tho I should change it, because I don't have that Beard anymore (it got way too hot and the Beard Had To GOO :()

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.