• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iPod going wireless?

OP
L

Lasha

Wow, if this really happens, that'd be so cool! You'll be roaming around your hours with music streaming from your PC! LOL!

OP
U

unixdude

Sound's like a bad idea to me. Now my iPod has 1/2 the battery life and everyone within 1000' of me can steal my music.

OP
C

ChicoWeb

Bad idea. Bluetooth is for low bandwitdh data transfer. I would bet the thought never crossed their minds.

OP
P

PinkPhishDoors

I am thinking that may have just been a concept apple was hinking about, and that this site was trying to milk it.

OP
I

iSheep

ChicoWeb said:
Bad idea. Bluetooth is for low bandwitdh data transfer. I would bet the thought never crossed their minds.
Considering your can stream digital video over Bluetooth, I don't see the problem with streaming music :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1.33 GHz PowerBook w/SuperDrive, 60GB HDD, 1.25G RAM.
I think Apple should focus on the battery power first, maybe even consider making future iPods with replaceble batteries.

OP
M

m1k

Wi-Fi and bluetooth wouldn't be that bad I guess. But the transfers of music wouldn't be half as fast as FireWire, 54MBPS is as slow as a guy in a mental hospital compared to 400MBPS that you get with FireWire. Bad move if it is in the next gen iPod. Plus it would have to be much bigger to accommodate BlueTooth/Wi-Fi, plus a bigger battery so that the battery doesn't lose any of its capacity.

And citystar2k, the fact that iPods have non-replaceable batteries is part of their charm. It's an all-in-one design, with very few visible screws or anything. It's why most people buy iPods. If iPods had an ugly side-panel where you could put in a new battery, it wouldn't be as popular because it would be ugly. Unless Apple engineers managed to put a side-panel somewhere else...

OP
R

ravenstor

>And citystar2k, the fact that iPods have non-replaceable batteries is part of their charm. It's an all-in-one design, with very few visible screws or anything. It's why most people buy iPods. If iPods had an ugly side-panel where you could put in a new battery, it wouldn't be as popular because it would be ugly. Unless Apple engineers managed to put a side-panel somewhere else...<

so your a fan of form over function then?

OP
I

iSheep

This Bluetooth lark:

I don't think Apple intend you to copy your music onto your iPod from your PC using it, I think they are more interested in getting Bluetooth headphones and Bluetooth stero-adapters. This means you could stream the music from your iPod. Apple will continue to use FireWire until the day that Bluetooth (or whatever) is faster.

OP
M

m1k

>And citystar2k, the fact that iPods have non-replaceable batteries is part of their charm. It's an all-in-one design, with very few visible screws or anything. It's why most people buy iPods. If iPods had an ugly side-panel where you could put in a new battery, it wouldn't be as popular because it would be ugly. Unless Apple engineers managed to put a side-panel somewhere else...<

Well, not really. The iPod is the best-looking digital music player on the market, but it's also the most functional. That's why it sells so much, because both form and function are excellent. If the iPod's looks get shabby, consumers might not like it that much anymore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The wifi is for streaming music to your airport express & hifi system...

Think of it as a ultra-remote control for your stereo system.

The bluetooth could be for headphones, syncing contact /calenders with mobile phones and organisers, or to remote control your ipod with a mini-bluetooth remote for those without airport express.

I think they'll only add wifi though...

OP
S

s_i_t_h_l_o_r_d

It's possible. But they have to go with bluetooth since thats much faster than wi-fi and the range for a wireless LAN to a nearby PC/MAC would be 5'. Apple needs to upgrade the bluetooth software so we can use the latest printers that use bluetooth technology.

OP
I

iSheep

I've had no problems at all using Bluetooth with the new HP printers. What needs updating?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
s_i_t_h_l_o_r_d said:
It's possible. But they have to go with bluetooth since thats much faster than wi-fi and the range for a wireless LAN to a nearby PC/MAC would be 5'. Apple needs to upgrade the bluetooth software so we can use the latest printers that use bluetooth technology.
Sorry to quibble, but that's not true.

Wi-Fi is a lot faster than bluetooth.

Bluetooth transmits at something less than 10MB/s whilst the slowst WiFi runs at 11Mb/s.

More common are wifi systems that run at 56MB/s. (called airport extreme by apple)

As for the range:Bluetooth systems CAN theoretically broadcast over a distance of 100m, but most devices have a range of 10-15m.

With WiFi it depends on multiple factors, but in my experience you get about 20-30 m, enough for useage in the home at any rate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
ravenstor said:

any one that buys an ipod is because thers alot of more cheeper uglyer ipod like mp3 players that have alot more features. That being said i have a 40 gb ipod.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.