iPhoto library & Original files...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Hey everyone!

I recently went through my iPhoto library and deleted around 100 photos from it, which went into iphotos trash. I then deleted them from the trash where it warned me this was unreversable.

Fine i thought, however after deleting them, I can STILL FIND them on my HDD in the Pictures>iPhoto>Orignals>

Please help!!

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I recently went through my iPhoto library and deleted around 100 photos from it, which went into iphotos trash. I then deleted them from the trash where it warned me this was unreversable.

Fine i thought, however after deleting them, I can STILL FIND them on my HDD in the Pictures>iPhoto>Orignals>

Please help!!

~~ TS ~~

If you delete a photo from iPhoto's library it's still on your Hard Drive as you've found out. If you alter any photo, then the original is saved just in case you want to revert back to it.

If I delete a photo from my library I first right-click on it and select 'Show File', then I delete the original file and finally I delete the photo from the iPhoto library. This is irreversable, so make sure you don't want the pic anymore. But it does stop those duplications of unwanted photos that surface later.

As far as finding the location of all those photos that are nesting in Pictures -> iPhoto Library that you want to delete .... I don't know of any easy way, sorry TS.

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Pulse, Thanks for the reply! :)

I was really beginning to like the use of iPhoto but this has kind of annoyed me, I thought by deleting it from iPhoto library especially after it warns me that this can not be undone, would be the end of the photo!

From now on I will use your technique Pulse for deleting the photos, unless someone knows of an option in iPhoto im not seeing that allows photos to be deleted properly within iPhoto?

Thanks once again Pulse!

~~ TS ~~

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just a quick bounce to see if anyone else has any ideas? :)

~~ TS ~~

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
:Not-Amused::Not-Amused::Not-Amused::Not-Amused: This is so annoying :Not-Amused::Not-Amused::Not-Amused::Not-Amused:

Using the theory that seemed to apply before which was the fact that when deleting from the library they are not deleted from my HDD, i deleted my library so i could reorganise things.

Yet this time its also deleted all my local copies of!

I now have had to revert to an old backup, not impressed

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
TS.....if you delete your library, make sure you highlight them all in iPhoto's library pane and drag them to a folder on your Desktop ... this way you can avert any disasters .... yeah, I know ... where was I half an hour ago ....

Did you empty iPhoto's Trash???

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Pulse

I deleted the trash yes, thinking it would behave in the same way it did when i did this yesterday!

Aaah well Im just glad i kept a backup!

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
I've been using iPhoto for over 16 months now and I have only just recently taught myself how to properly organise my photo collection within it. How to asign keywords, group in folders etc ... Finally my photos are in some kind or order but it's up to me to keep things tidy each time I add photos which is almost on a daily basis.

Back-up, back-up, back-up !!!

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I backup all the time but unfortuntly, this has really shook my trust in using iPhoto to keep a track of all my photos.

Any suggestions for other software or should I keep with iPhoto and just try and get my head around some of its "Quirks"

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2.0GHz Macbook, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD
I feel your pain. I just deleted over 500 photos and started to delete them one by one in Finder.. Realizing that it was going to take forever, I did a quick search on google and found nothing. BUT! After looking through iPhoto's menu, I came out with a pretty good solution.

This actually may not help you if you only deleted a few pictures.. But anway, what i did was click on my Library (after I had deleted all the unwanted pictures), selected all the photos (cmd+a) and exported them into a folder on my desktop. I then trashed the "User>Pictures>iPhoto Library" folder and re-imported the folder on my desktop into iPhoto.

If you did a lot of color correction, cropping, etc. That's all lost.. Also, if you have your photo's organized into film rolls that's lost too..

Haha, hopefully Apple gives a choice in the next iPhoto, or better yet, an update ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.