iPhoto back-up

Reaction score
I have been using TIMTE MACHINE to do my back ups. But when I looked for the iPhoto file, I could not find it. Could someone give me some suggestion as to how to back-up all my 28000 pictures in iPhoto?
I am using OS x Maverick.
Thanks.
Steve

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your photos should be contained in your iPhoto library. If you're making full backups with Time Machine, then the iPhoto library has been backed up. However, with 28,000 photos to backup, I advise you to use a second method of backing up. Carbon Copy Cloner can make an exact copy of your entire hard drive to an external hard drive that will be bootable. It's an excellent way of backing up.

C

chas_m

iPhoto for iOS doesn't contain ANY pictures. It displays pictures from the Camera Roll. All of this information is backed up in your iOS backup, either to iCloud or to your Mac/PC using iTunes.

I've never had to try and retrieve just a single item from an iOS backup, so I'm not sure how that would work, sorry.

However, my Photo Stream (ie, all the photos I have taken on the iPhone) and my camera roll automatically back up to iPhoto on my Mac. So in my case, if I needed to retrieve an image accidentally deleted from the iPhone, I would simply restore it from iPhoto through iTunes.

Last edited:
Reaction score
simply put time machine backs up everything inside the time machine file if you want to backup your library you will have to copy the iPhoto library file from your documents

C

chas_m

[my apologies, I did not understand we were talking about iPhoto for iOS. My answer wasn't relevant.]

Last edited:
OP
S
Reaction score
iPhoto back-up in Time Machine

Thanks for your reply. It helps a lot.

Steve

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.