iPhoto and saving pictures to folder

pbd

Reaction score
I am sorry to trouble you again, especially as I am sure that this has already been asked and answered but I have searched and cannot find the answer.

I want to save my pictures into folders and not store them in iPhoto (don't want multiple copies). I suppose they need to be moved out of iPhoto completely. Please could someone tell me how to do this in a few easy steps?
Thank you

OP
P

pbd

Reaction score
I realised that but what I wanted to do was to copy or move them from iPhoto into folders. My thinking was that if there was a way of moving them that would be best because I wouldn't have to go back and delete the ones that I have put into folders.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
You'll need to copy them out of iPhoto, either by using iPhoto's Export option or simply drag and drop them to where you want them to go, and then delete them from iPhoto.

Any particular reason why you don't want to keep them in iPhoto?

OP
P

pbd

Reaction score
Thank you. I had another look and found the export option so will try that. As for the reason, unfortunately it is down to my inflexibility and unwillingness to accept a change in practise. I've always labelled the pictures and stored them in folders by year/month. That way I can easily transfer them to my external hard drives and I also store a copy in SkyDrive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
I've always labelled the pictures and stored them in folders by year/month.
You can do that with iPhoto.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
You can really organize photos the way you want in iPhoto and have even more choices. The way I usually tell people to think of it is to treat iPhoto like your Photos folder. Instead of subfolders, you have Events and Albums that you can organize, label, tag, edit, etc however you wish.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you import photos into iPhoto, they are shown as Events. An Event being a group of photos usually taken on the same day.

You then create Albums to put these photos into: eg, Family, Trip To The Zoo, Wildlife etc etc. You can also create Folders, then create further Folders and/or Albums within that first Folder. I have a Folder for Family photos, then different Albums in there for individual family members.

However, you can't have an Album within an Album.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.