iPhoto and external hard drives

Uni

Reaction score
Hi boys and girls!

A quick question... Is it possible to configure iPhoto so that it's default Library folder is on an external hard drive accessed via an airport network? And is it possible to have more than one computer on the network using this iPhoto Library?

Essentially what i want is to have one central iPhoto library stored on the external, which can be accessed and edited by both my iMac and MacBook Pro via airport

thanks!

Uni/.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
Welcome to Mac forums
Ok Try this :

Quit iPhoto
Re lauch iPhoto holding the option key down (You get a splash screen)
Choose Create new Libarary and tell it where Your HDD is a good start)
Then when you are finished if you want to swap between librarys you just hold down the option key on launch

You can also get an app called iPhoto manager to do it for you with a little less fuss and more control.
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/7158

Another method is this .
Quit iPhoto
Move the entire iPhoto libray folder(It's in your home folder Pictures folder) to your Extern disk.
Re lauch iPhoto and it will say It can't find the iPhoto library folder. Now click the find Library button to show the program where you put the folder...Finished job...

You can also use the sharing feature in iPhoto However I´m not sure if this allows editing.

It's in the preferences in iPhoto

I hope this goes a little way to help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.