• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

iphoto alternative

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini OS 10.12.6
I loved iPhoto, until the software became corrupt.

My question:

Is it possible to purchase new iPhoto software (my elderly iLife discs won't open?

Is there a photo organizer similar to iPhoto I could try? I upgraded to Sierra to try Photos. So far, hate it.

Thanks in advance.

bmahin

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There are certainly alternatives to Photos and iPhoto, however, they are pay apps. Two that I recommend are: "Pixelmator" and "Affinity Photo". Both are available from the Mac App Store.

Also, I notice you say that iPhoto became corrupt. In what way? iPhoto still works with the latest version of OS X Sierra.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Also, what is it that you hate about Photos? Perhaps some of the things are easily corrected.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini OS 10.12.6
My guess is that, over the years, the code eventually became corrupt, i.e., making library "corrections" that became more and more destructive.

Agan, thank you.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hey bmahin

Moderator Slydude asked a highly pertinent question. What makes hou "hate" Photos.

There are numerous similarities between the two apps that are immediately recognisable. Sure there are differences and there are additions, particularly in relation to editing features which are much enhanced.

So if you could detail your dislikes and irritations, maybe we could find ways to circumnavigate or mitigate these. There's a lot going for Photos. Pity to give up so soon.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
New versions of old apps often generate dislike but I've found this is soon overcome with use. I don't remember having too much difficulty transferring to Photos and like the extended editing features very much. I never had Aperture and they're easier to use than PhotoShop Elements.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
New versions of old apps often generate dislike but I've found this is soon overcome with use.

...but not always. One tends to get use to a program that one uses often and can ignore it's annoyances and short comings, but when an 'upgrade' adds significantly to those annoyances one begins to look around for something easier to work with. For me 'Moments' and 'Collections' are irrelevant and together with constant face recognition updating that one cannot switch off, all get my blood boiling to the extent that I cannot bear anything to do with Photos. Apples 'nannying' is becoming so patronising that one wonders if instead of catering for the professional or more enlightened users they are going evermore downmarket to appeal to the brainless masses who cannot cope with independent thought or action.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini OS 10.12.6
To all of you who responded. . .

I decided to follow the advice of most of you and give Photos a bit more of a try.

i find I hate it less, and will press on w/Photos.

Again, my thanks to all of you for your advice.

bmahin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
...constant face recognition updating that one cannot switch off,

What am I doing differently that I don't get prompts for face recognition and wouldn't know how to find Collections or Events? I do have everything sorted into albums & folders.

I wouldn't agree about Apple nannying; in fact operations are sometimes so obtuse that it takes a lot of internet and forum searching to find a solution. But if Apple is nanny Windows is surely Supernanny!:D

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
To all of you who responded. . .

I decided to follow the advice of most of you and give Photos a bit more of a try.

i find I hate it less, and will press on w/Photos.

Again, my thanks to all of you for your advice.

bmahin

Just a little tip. Folks have often asked where's all the edit functions that everyone talks about?

Firstly, you have to select a picture, usually by clicking on it and hitting the space bar. This open the picture and then, until the latest update, you could cind the Edit function top right of window. Now it is second from the right and Edit has been replaced by three squiggly lines. Why, I do not know.

Clicking on this brings up a basic list of edit functions. To get to the more advanced editing, select Adjustments. Some show by default , all the others can be found by clicking on the + or add sign. These extra tools are quit sophisticated.

There is also Extensions which gives you the chance to edit using third party apps and the editing is done within Photos rather than having to export the images. Obviously you have to acquire these apps like Pixelmater or Affinity and there are some more.

All in all, Photos is a good app that meets the needs of beginner and a lot of the needs of the more serious photographer.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.