iPhone SE2 Difference?

Reaction score
I purchased an SE2 from Apple. A friend liked it, so she ordered one from T-Mobil. She like mine because of the size. However, her T-Mobile SE2 is larger and she's very disappointed. I checked the model number and it is sure enough an SE2, but a little bigger. Is this typical? Seems strange that Apple would allow SE2 to be available in different sizes. Thanks for your help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
An SE 2 is an SE 2 whether it's directly from Apple or T-Mobile. Is her SE 2 in a case provided by T-Mobile? A case would increase the size somewhat and also the weight of the phone.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, that's certainly an oddity. I'm a subscriber with T-Mobile but never purchase my phones from them. I purchase directly from Apple. I would have her take the phone back to T-Mobile and ask for a replacement and at the same time take yours along to compare.

OP
B
Reaction score
Well, that's certainly an oddity. I'm a subscriber with T-Mobile but never purchase my phones from them. I purchase directly from Apple. I would have her take the phone back to T-Mobile and ask for a replacement and at the same time take yours along to compare.
Thanks Chscag. That's exactly what needs to be done. I just need to convince my friend to give em ****. She's 80 and I think they took advantage of her. It'll be interesting to hear their explanation.
Thanks so much for your input.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I have an SE2 myself, partly because of the size so I suppose my question would be if it's not an SE2 that is it?
In System Settings > General > About > Model Name, mine states iPhone SE. You could just check that for starters. Both original SE and the SE2 are the same size.

OP
B
Reaction score
Mystery solved. My friend let me do all that was suggested here (thanks again) then I took the phone out of the case. Sure enough, the case T-Mobile sold her made the phone much bigger. The phone is definitely an SE2. UGH.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, the phone itself, without the case, is bigger.

Mystery solved. My friend let me do all that was suggested here (thanks again) then I took the phone out of the case. Sure enough, the case T-Mobile sold her made the phone much bigger. The phone is definitely an SE2.

From your first reply I assumed the phone was without a case. A case can definitely make a smaller phone seem larger and heavier. I have a 12 Mini in a protective case and it indeed enlarges the phone and gives it a bit of added weight. But, there's no way I would use an iPhone without a protective case and protective glass.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
well, that's all good news. I must admit I had a heavy alloy case on mine with a looped strap on it that I used travelling. Nothing like a little extra security when you're being jostled by crowds but most of the time I just use the bog standard silicon case. Nice to hold, light and non slippery.

OP
B
Reaction score
well, that's all good news. I must admit I had a heavy alloy case on mine with a looped strap on it that I used travelling. Nothing like a little extra security when you're being jostled by crowds but most of the time I just use the bog standard silicon case. Nice to hold, light and non slippery.
Thanks, I’ll check into one of those. My case is supposedly leather and my phone is always slipping out of my hands.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.