iPhone: make google maps the default..

Reaction score
in WhatsApp when someone sends me a location and I click on it I want it to open in google maps..
how do I configure this? when I go to settings -> google maps there's nowhere to tell it to open location links in google maps..

thank you..

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
This is currently not supported on iOS. You can set a default email app or browser, but that's it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
If you press and hold on the link, do you get an option to copy the link? You should then be able to open it in whichever map app you prefer.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I don't have WhatsApp to test this but the following short video explains how to do this on a case-by-case basis.

This tip suggests how to do things once you set Gmail or Chrome as your default apps.

OP
K
Reaction score
This is currently not supported on iOS. You can set a default email app or browser, but that's it.
oh man.. this is so ridiculous... so I can't get WhatsApp on iPhone to open location links in google maps?
there's NO WAY to do this? seriously?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
oh man.. this is so ridiculous... so I can't get WhatsApp on iPhone to open location links in google maps?
The others have suggested a few things you can try, but there isn't a default like thing for maps specifically.

Why is this surprising? Apple provides default apps for these links, so they'll obviously default to use their own tools that they've investing in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

I do not have or use an iPhone but I tried doing a Google search thinking there might be some sort of extension available or possibly even jailbreaking your iPhone, and some of the hits provide some possibilities and suggestions you could have a look at and try:

Maybe there might be something useful amongst those hits that would help your situation or possibly some sort of a workaround.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2013 27" stuck forever on Catalina
Er.. I do not know how come, but for me any map links (including from WhatsApp) always opens in Google Maps. In fact I have to do the presentation and hold to make it open in Apple Maps.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.