iPhone & Internet

Reaction score
I was looking on Apple's website, and it said that the iPhone supports Wi-fi. Does that mean that I would be able to use a wireless internet connection to connect to the internet on my phone?

OP
K
Reaction score
actually, what my real question was: if I'm using a wireless network, such as the one at my school, will that go towards my cingular data plan, or will it be free for me, because wireless internet at my school is free? or will I have to increase my data plan?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G3 imac 500mhz and 266mhz, ipod mini
nope it should be free becasue it doesn't require any data transfer to cingualr as far as I know...

new question though do you think you would be able to use the iphone as a wireless modem with wifi?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I'm not sure what you would need to use it for as a modem, but it's possible.

To the OP - I have a hunch you'll be required to buy some kind of unlimited data plan for it anyway. Besides, with as much data this thing is going to be pulling down just to bring up full web pages, you're going to want an unlimited data plan unless you are constantly in WiFi range!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D, 2 Gig.
actually, what my real question was: if I'm using a wireless network, such as the one at my school, will that go towards my cingular data plan, or will it be free for me, because wireless internet at my school is free? or will I have to increase my data plan?

this would really suck if we have to sub for an unllimited data plan.

i hope its liek one of those pda phone where you can just surf the web via your own wireless network without any data plan. im not buying one if i have to sub a data plan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2GHtz, 2Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD. 16Gb iPT Jailbroken.
I may be possible that the phone will have more than one mode.

SE music phones have a music only mode (phone function being turned off), my Nokia N80 has an offline mode (phone function off, but wi-fi still useable).

The iPhone may have a combination of those functions. Well we won't know till nearer the launch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
They (AT&T) have mentioned that they're likely going to require an unlimited plan...i really hope they're joking. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I would expect it to require an unlimited plan for internet with all of the widgets downloading info and websites downloading full pages

Reaction score
an unlimited plan is only $20. I know you can use other cingular smart phones as a modem for your macbook. your phone almost always has signal. you can use the phone as a "router" for about $70 a month.

Reaction score
an unlimited plan is only $20. I know you can use other cingular smart phones as a modem for your macbook. your phone almost always has signal. you can use the phone as a "router" for about $70 a month.

The $20 plan is not for PDA's which the iPhone will fall under. The PDA unlimited is $40.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.