iPhone backup OS Sierra

Reaction score
Hi all, I am using a late 2009 MacBook white running Sierra and an iPhone 6s running iOS 13.

I cannot backup the phone to the laptop iTunes does not detect the phone and it does not appear in Finder.

I suspect the issue is a combination of using an old OS and the changes to iTunes when Catalina was introduced. However if there is a way to make the backup work I would appreciate some guidance.

I do have a particular reason for not changing the operating system or laptop so if I cannot get this combination to work I will just forget about backing up the phone.

Many Thanks

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
You have a couple of options, you can backup the iPhone to iCloud or a third party app such as iMazing. Unfortunately iMazing is fairly expensive at AU $64.00. I have been using it for a long time and it was cheaper initially but there is very little competition for it (iMazing Store). It is a complete suite of management tools, providing backup, sync, file management, updates, data transfer etc.
If you just want to be safe, fire up iCloud Drive and choose what you want to backup on the phone then go to backups and click iCloud backup to on. This will perform backups when the phone is locked, plugged into power and connected to WiFi.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
OP
S
Reaction score
I went for the iCloud option as its straightforward and I don't use iCloud for anything else. I did look at the link but there was mostly talk about High Sierra and El Capitan. Although my ancient Mackbook will run High Sierra I choose not to do that for a specific reason. Anyway its all fine now the phone is backed up thank you both.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Your macOS is too old to run a recent enough version of iTunes to connect to iOS at 13.x. This has been a long standing issue with iOS devices, people tend to replace their phones a lot faster than their computers. Also, they tend to upgrade the phones more so than their computers.

For this reason alone, iOS can now be fully operated without ever connecting to iTunes for activation or backup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.