iphone 5s lightning cable frayed

Reaction score
hi,
i was wondering if anyone has had any success in getting their lightning cable repaired for the iphone 5s? mine is out of warranty (barely) but the apple store near me says they will not replace it, i am in the socal region and i think its absurd how easily this thing frays compared to my bros samsung charger. it happened 7 months into getting the phone.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can buy a new lightning cable from most anywhere for around $6 to $10 depending on length and color. I've seen them in discount stores for $5. And by the way, I have never had a lightning cable get frayed.

OP
A
Reaction score
You can buy a new lightning cable from most anywhere for around $6 to $10 depending on length and color. I've seen them in discount stores for $5. And by the way, I have never had a lightning cable get frayed.

thanks, it started fraying like around mid march of last year. i think its absurd that i should have to pay for another one, but oh well. here is a pic of it attached

rsz_1img_0030.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.

I have, I seem to get about a year out of a cable. I've gone to Monoprice flat cables, we'll see how those last.

C

chas_m

I'm not having any problems with the various Lightning cables I have, even the one in the car. Methinks someone's been playing a little rough with their cables and disconnecting them incorrectly.

I strongly suggest double-checking that any replacement cable you buy is certified MFi (made for iOS devices), otherwise you may have issues with the cable not related to fraying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I'm not having any problems with the various Lightning cables I have, even the one in the car. Methinks someone's been playing a little rough with their cables and disconnecting them incorrectly.

I strongly suggest double-checking that any replacement cable you buy is certified MFi (made for iOS devices), otherwise you may have issues with the cable not related to fraying.

I have 30 pin connectors that are from my iPod mini that still work dude. Over 10 years old. The cables are not made as well. Mine short right after the joke of 'strain' relief at the lightning end.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.