iPhone 5

Reaction score
I am unable to Erase All Content and Settings on my iPhone 5. I keep getting an error message. There's no SIM card in the phone. I don't know if that's the problem.

If I take this phone to the Apple Store, can they erase it?

Thanks. :)

Attachments

• Q.jpg
    Q.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I am unable to Erase All Content and Settings on my iPhone 5. I keep getting an error message. There's no SIM card in the phone.

What personal data is still showing???

You could try some of the suggestions in the various hits as suggested here

And if none of those work, I would think the Apple Store text could certainly do so, but you may have to provide proof that you actually own the iPhone.

- Patrick
=======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
The error you have pictured is related to your Apple ID. Try connecting it to your computer via USB cable and setup as a New iPhone. That will erase it and having, or not having a SIM card in it shouldn't make any difference.

OP
M
Reaction score
OP
M
Reaction score
The error you have pictured is related to your Apple ID. Try connecting it to your computer via USB cable and setup as a New iPhone. That will erase it and having, or not having a SIM card in it shouldn't make any difference.

Apple Music does not recognize or "see" the device when it's plugged into my laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Music does not recognize or "see" the device when it's plugged into my laptop.

It's sounding more and more like a job for the Apple Store techs. ;-)

Seriously, and don't be surprised if they want to sell you a new or suggest buying a refurbished one...

- Patrick
=======

OP
M
Reaction score
It's sounding more and more like a job for the Apple Store techs. ;-)

Seriously, and don't be surprised if they want to sell you a new or suggest buying a refurbished one...

- Patrick
=======

Do they have the ability to fully erase the device, regardless of error messages?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Marrk,

Your iPhone 5 will not be recognised by any relatively recent macOS - as you confirm.

I agree with Rod that this really is an Apple ID issue.

Here are a few suggestions:

On your Mac Laptop/Notebook, Open System Preferences/Settings > Click on Apple ID

On the Left side at the bottom, there should be a list of all Devices linked to your Apple ID. If you see your iPhone 5 there, Click on it and "Remove from Account".

This disassociates your iPhone 5 from your Apple ID.

Assuming this works as stated above, you can now try to erase the contents on your iPhone because it will no longer be associated with your Apple ID.

Please post back.

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
If the iPhone is not "seen" by your computer it may not be running a compatible iOS and sadly may not be caperble of updating to an iOS which is. I don't know what macOS you have on your computer or iPhone but the iPhone stopped at iOS 10 and we're currently on iOS 16.

Apart from wanting to erase and reset this iPhone 5 what are you hoping/planning to do with it?

OP
M
Reaction score
If the iPhone is not "seen" by your computer it may not be running a compatible iOS and sadly may not be caperble of updating to an iOS which is. I don't know what macOS you have on your computer or iPhone but the iPhone stopped at iOS 10 and we're currently on iOS 16.

Apart from wanting to erase and reset this iPhone 5 what are you hoping/planning to do with it?

I think it's junk at this point. Very unstable. I want to get my info off of it, then toss it in the electronics recycling bin. Too bad. I really like the size of the iPhone 5. I'm not a phone guy. Small is better to me. It depresses me when I occasionally realize that everyone is doing everything on their phones (rather than on a laptop).

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I think it's junk at this point. Very unstable. I want to get my info off of it, then toss it in the electronics recycling bin. Too bad. I really like the size of the iPhone 5. I'm not a phone guy. Small is better to me. It depresses me when I occasionally realize that everyone is doing everything on their phones (rather than on a laptop).
Do NOT toss the phone into the recycling bin, most places don't deal with that. You need to take it into a place that does electronic recycling and if you can't find one, take it your Apple Store who will gladly take it and recycle it properly for you.

While at the Apple Store, you can also ask about how to ensure that your data isn't accessible to anyone..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I could be wrong, but I have a strong feeling that older iPhones such as your 5 and the old 4 model I was using some time ago rely on being accessed by an older Mac OS version that has and uses iTunes.

And I think iMazing.app may provide access via a USB connection and I believe also has a demo trial available you could use to see if it works to clean up your data.

- Patrick
=======

N

Noshaba Rehman

When you visit the Apple Store Explain the issue with the erasing of content and settings of the iPhone 5. They have the expertise and tools to help you identify and fix the problem. Make backups of your important information prior to going to the store in order to avoid any loss of data.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm with you on that Marrk, I too prefer a smaller phone and although convenient for quick email replies and social media stuff I always use my laptop. I currently have an iPhone SE 20, which was under $500.00 when I bought it. Below is the current model and as you can see it's still the cheapest model, it does lack a few features of the larger current models so do compare before you buy but I have been very happy with mine. For one thing, it still uses a "home" button which suits me just fine.

Screenshot 2023-05-21 at 10.09.18 am.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.