Iphone 5 - Buy or not to buy?

Reaction score
I am planning to buy iphone 5 as it is cheap ... but not sure when seller is saying its a brand new pack and not refurbished as Apple stopped manufacturing iphone5 about 1.5 years back ... Help me please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
If you are purchasing an iPhone 5 from an individual you need to make sure it has not been stollen, or if previously legitimately owned, that it has been removed from the previous apple id and reset to factory settings as if new.

You do not state what the specific model is or how much storage it has. Just for a ballpark most iPhone 5's with 16GB are going for about $150 on eBay. If it is a lot cheaper - and it is possible, just make sure it is not stollen. There have been stores robbed and people have had phones taken. Apple can remotely brick (destroy) those phones and you are out the money.

Lisa

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks Lisa

I am getting a 64 gb white iphone 5 (unlocked) for a price of about USD 370 ... seems ok or actually higher on the basis of ur estimation ... but the issue is its a local warranty and not apple service warranty

Any easy way to find out if it stolen or refurbished ?

Vrushang

If you are purchasing an iPhone 5 from an individual you need to make sure it has not been stollen, or if previously legitimately owned, that it has been removed from the previous apple id and reset to factory settings as if new.

You do not state what the specific model is or how much storage it has. Just for a ballpark most iPhone 5's with 16GB are going for about $150 on eBay. If it is a lot cheaper - and it is possible, just make sure it is not stollen. There have been stores robbed and people have had phones taken. Apple can remotely brick (destroy) those phones and you are out the money.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can use the link below to use a tool apple provides. You wile need either the IMEI or serial number of the phone. You can enter it at the site linked below and it will tell you.

https://www.icloud.com/activationlock/

This link explains why it is a good idea to check:

Apple Now Lets You Check If An iPhone Is Stolen Before You Buy It | TechCrunch

What I found about refurbished iphones from Apple was that it will not come in a white box. It will come in a brown box. But I also found this that will let you know if it has any apple care. New iphone have a year. Also any apple refurbished iphone will be a good deal. They do an excellent job refurbishing.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

Lisa

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks this is helpful.

Just to clarify that I am in Malaysia and planning to buy from here. And here there is a bg risk of retailers selling duplicate phones ... One of my friend bough a Samsung S5 and when he went to samsung to get the screen repaired, they said its not a samsung phone ... so feeling jittery

The one year warranty which you mentioned ... i am getting from a local non-apple supplier

Vrushang

You can use the link below to use a tool apple provides. You wile need either the IMEI or serial number of the phone. You can enter it at the site linked below and it will tell you.

What I found about refurbished iphones from Apple was that it will not come in a white box. It will come in a brown box. But I also found this that will let you know if it has any apple care. New iphone have a year. Also any apple refurbished iphone will be a good deal. They do an excellent job refurbishing.

Lisa

OP
V
Reaction score
Got this reply when I entered by IMEI no on the link

Activation lock: Off

This devoce can be activated by a new user

Does this mean all is ok?

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Got this reply when I entered by IMEI no on the link

Activation lock: Off

This devoce can be activated by a new user

Does this mean all is ok?

Yes that is what it means! I tend to "assume" everyone is in the U.S. when I post but I know better. I should ask to be sure sometimes. Sorry!

Hope you love your new iPhone. I have an iPhone 6 - it was my first iPhone anything - and I love it.

LIsa

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks Lisa thats helpful !!

Yes that is what it means! I tend to "assume" everyone is in the U.S. when I post but I know better. I should ask to be sure sometimes. Sorry!

Hope you love your new iPhone. I have an iPhone 6 - it was my first iPhone anything - and I love it.

LIsa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.