iPhone 4 "nightmare"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Hi everyone

Not a query as such, just a general post to outline the recent woes I had after buying an iPhone 4.

Why did I buy one in the first place? well, it's simple really; I absolutely love the design. For me it is peak iPhone :) and I just wanted to have one again after owning one several years ago and selling when I "upgraded" to newer phones.

Anyway, the phone arrived - bought for 99p on an auction site. The phone though was in absolutely pristine, as new condition. except it didn't work. This wasn't a problem as I really only wanted it to admire and not to use daily.

But after connecting to my Mac a few times, more in hope than expectation, I finally got it to boot and was able to use it as a functioning phone. Excellent, I thought, as it would make a nice subject for my YouTube channel, comparing its camera performance to my brand new 15 ProMax.

That's where the problems started.

I could not get the images off the phone. I tried Image Capture and Photos, but both times was met with the prompt to "unlock the iPhone". Trouble is it was already unlocked.

So, I figured I'd add it to my iCloud account and get the images off that way. And that's where things really started to go pear-shaped! I could sign in with my Apple ID and password, and even the 2FA worked fine. Excellent I thought again, I'll get these images off at last.

And then I entered an infinite loop of woe!

Time and time again I'd get asked to log-in. And just as I was doing so I'd get the 2FA pop-up on my 15PM. I'd try to re-enter my account details but before I'd finish there'd be another pop-up with another request and another 6 digit code. I couldn't type stuff in fast enough before pop-up after pop-up appeared.

All this time, I was still actually signed in to my account but could do nothing without these further requests.

Fine. I'll give up I figured, sign out of iCloud to stop these pop-ups and chalk the whole thong down as one bad mistake!

Only it wasn't as simple as that. To sign out of iCloud I'd have to turn off "Find My..." which again required the entering of a password. And then the whole pop-up nightmare scenario started again. I turned the phone off and back on - 2FA pop-up straight away.

Eventually, and after 2 hours of constant (and I mean constant) 2FA pop-ups I managed to type in my password quickly enough to turn off Find My... and get out of iCloud, ending the pop-up misery!

I've no idea how or why this happened, other than perhaps the age of the device (it's as up to date as it can be on iOS 7). But I've vowed to never, ever attempt to get it onto my iCloud account again!

Nick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Using obsolete technology only goes well when you use it in isolation or connect it to other devices of the same era. If you were to use a Mac running Snow Leopard, Lion or Mountain Lion and the version of iTunes that came with those OS', the phone would work perfectly fine. Go beyond those versions of the OS and it won't work.

iCloud is NOT a static thing, the APIs that power it continue to evolve and older APIs are deprecated for newer ones. When an old device uses a deprecated or disabled API, the result is unpredictable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.