iPhone 11 xs max 256 gig problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2017 32 G ram MB Pro 2012 16 G ram iPad Air ser 5 2017 iPhone 11 xs max 256.
I freely admit I am not a mobile user except in emergency's.

I bought this iPhone second hand and it is in perfect condition, it is unlocked and setup was very easy. I joined EE as my service provider and there is plenty of money available for calls on the device.
I can phone out without any problems, but anyone I have provided my phones number to cannot phone me, they keep getting the message that this number is not available?
Under settings/phone my number is displayed as +44 and a ten digit number, I have checked the 10 digit number many times and it is correct. I have tried myself to get through to my iPhone from my landline with no success?
As stated above I know very little about mobile phones and how to use them, but this is what I have tried:- The ten digit number on it's own/The ten digit t number with my area code in front, but I always get the same result "phone number not recognized".

What am I missing? Any help would be really appreciated.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Willabong,

Just on the question of numbers: +44 tells me you are in the UK. Strictly speaking, you don't need to show this unless you expect calls from abroad.

I guess you've done all this already, but just checking ;) :)

+44 1234 456789. NB No zero ie Not 01234

Or it can be 01234 456789 (that's without the +44)

When dialling from your landline - as you are in the same country - it is 01234 45678

Now if what I've detailed above is exactly what you have tried, do this:

On your iPhone, Go into "Settings", then scroll down to "Phone" and half way down you will see "My Number". Check that is the number you have been using.

I suspect that you may have given people the wrong number. This would explain why you can dial out, but not receive calls!!

Ian

OP
Willabong
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2017 32 G ram MB Pro 2012 16 G ram iPad Air ser 5 2017 iPhone 11 xs max 256.
as you have shown in your post above, my number is displayed as 10 digit, and I had no idea I was supposed to add a 0 before the number, tried adding the 0 and now I can connect to my iPhone with no problems.
Thank you for pointing a complete novice to the solution!

OP
Willabong
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another related problem, when phoning my iPhone I get a message telling me that someone is calling, but no ring tone? I've looked under Settings/phone and under Settings/sound and Haptics, but I can not find a setting to allow ring tones?
Any ideas please?

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
as you have shown in your post above, my number is displayed as 10 digit, and I had no idea I was supposed to add a 0 before the number, tried adding the 0 and now I can connect to my iPhone with no problems.
Thank you for pointing a complete novice to the solution!

I am delighted that your difficulty is solved. Well done. We are or were "complete novices" at one time or another. Nothing to be ashamed of. That's the fun of learning - at any age.

Ian

OP
Willabong
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any advice on how to turn on the ringtone please?

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another related problem, when phoning my iPhone I get a message telling me that someone is calling, but no ring tone? I've looked under Settings/phone and under Settings/sound and Haptics, but I can not find a setting to allow ring tones?
Any ideas please?

Right; next problem. First thing. On the left hand side of your iPhone, at the top, there is a tiny button. This is the silence button. Push upwards to turn on sound and push downwards to silence the iPhone.

Check that first because that is the most likely explanation.

If it is already in the up position - well - Go into Settings, then Sounds & Haptics and check:

Vibrate on ring is ON
Vibrate on Silent is ON

Further down is SOUNDS AND VIBRATION PATTERNS

Here, you have to choose a Sound for Ringtone, Text Tone, New Voicemail, New Mail, Sent Mail and so on.

I'm inclined to think that your iPhone is on Silent - thus the need to check the Sound On/Off button as described above.

Let us know. So far, you're doing great!

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As an addition to the above:

Also on the left hand side below the Silent On/Off are two other buttons. The upper one turns UP the sound and the lower one turns DOWN the sound. Make sure that you have the sound on maximum.

Ian

OP
Willabong
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Problem solved, every home should have a MAC Forum tech instead of siri, life would be so much easier:app
The little switch on the upper left was off!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have fun with your new iPhone. And thanks to Ian for his patience and instructions that got you going. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.