iPad utters aloud name of every button that is touched … but that is all it does?

Reaction score
Have got into a right muddle with this iPad (16.3.1).
Was trying to use Voice Over so that I can read documents and books aloud.
I selected “Voice Over” and up came a warning that this would change the gestures used on the screen.
There was also the question, “Do you really want to do this?”
Alas, I blithely accepted but the warning notice did not go away even when I tapped OK.
Then everything froze.
I eventually managed to shut the iPad down.
However, when it restarted, I saw (and now heard!!) the usual “enter passcode” screen but was unable to enter the passcode.
As I tapped the various characters, all that happened was that the iPad cheerfully called them back to me one by one.
I am stuck at this point.
Can someone pse tell me how to get out of this self-inflicted log jam?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I don't know how to turn this off, but know that Voice Over is an accessibility thing that won't do what you want..

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Here's an Apple article that (a) explains what Voice Over can & cannot do and (b) how to Turn it On and - for you - how to Turn it OFF.

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Well, thanks again, Ian.
You've helped me yet again ... you are a star!
I read the scan and after a lot of fiddling around manage to get to 'Accessibility' and the solution.
It was so kind of you to take the trouble to seek out that article and get me out of that mess-up.
As far as 'Voice Over' is concerned, I guess it's intended for the visually impaired ... and I'm sure it's very useful in that respect. But for the average user ... take heed of the Apple warning ... "Do you really want to do this?" And leave well alone!
And as an aside to the above ... many thanks indeed to Mac Forums in general. To all its knowledgable contributors ... and to the mods and admins that keep it going. Time and again, I've come to Mac Forums for bits of advice, minor questions and, as in the recent 'Voice Over' debacle, serious issues that have left me completely stumped.
M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I don't know how to turn this off, but know that Voice Over is an accessibility thing that won't do what you want..

+!. Agree 100%, and it's 1,000% overrated by Apple which keeps harping on how great it is since they first developed it.
Personally, it should have been squashed on the developers' table, at least for normal users' usage.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
at least for normal users' usage
But if you need it....

If you don't, don't turn it on. If you do, it's there. Good for Apple for providing it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
If you don't, don't turn it on. If you do, it's there. Good for Apple for providing it!

True, but it seems like they could improve how a user enables or disables it and make it a lot easier and more obvious to do so.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
True, but it seems like they could improve how a user enables or disables it and make it a lot easier and more obvious to do so.

- Patrick
=======
Not sure how much more they can do, Patrick. Activation is hidden in Settings, Accessibility, and has options to set when you select it. And it offers a help section on the iDevice to explain how it works and when you select it ask a "Are you sure you want to do this?" before making it the default. Add in this at Apple:

and I think they have covered it well.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@IWT Good catch there, Ian. When I read this thread yesterday Voice Over occurred to me as the possible culprit for a second or two. I didn't catch that.

Now where did I leave that dunce hat? I should have just left it on from last time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.