• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iPad pre-orders @ 25 000 per hr

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Would be good for  if these statistics are true, and if they are it might quiet down those non believers lol
Its interesting if anything else

25 000 pre-orders per hour

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Merged Duplicate threads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air - 128 GB SSD, 2.13GHz intel duel core, 2GB Ram
im skeptical of these statistics. For one they are based on order numbers, which include everything else in the mac store, and secondly they rely on the assumption that the order numbers start at zero.

What the claim basically say is "if all of our assumptions are correct this is how many things apple sold today, And some of the things sold were ipads"

C

chas_m

The Apple Store is not currently taking pre-orders on anything else I'm aware of, so tracking the order numbers is in fact a pretty good way to judge.

They are way up over 100,000 now. My personal predictions are that they will move 1M units within the first three months of availability and 3M before year's end.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Even your 1M units is only 0.33% of the US population. (that's if you go of USA = 300M people). And if you take into account some people will buy multiple ipads. it's a little less than 0.33% of USA own an ipad within the first 3 months and that increases to 1% in a year.

So by your prediction at years end a It'll be a touch less then 1 out of every hundred US people will own an ipad.

C

chas_m

Yeah, so what's your point?

Only about 20M iPod Touches have been sold so far, and it's been out for 2.5 years (and is available pretty much worldwide). The iPad will do AT LEAST that well -- I would expect them to sell no less than 5M units by the iPad's first anniversary, probably closer to 10M.

Are you suggesting the iPod Touch has been a flop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wow, your "prediction" has increased over three fold in the space of three hours. Was there any thought behind that or was it entirely because nobody was impressed with your previous prediction?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
wow, your "prediction" has increased over three fold in the space of three hours. Was there any thought behind that or was it entirely because nobody was impressed with your previous prediction?

Actually, his prediction didn't increase so much.

He said:

1m within first 3 mo, 3m by years end - not the anniversary. The anniversary would be an additional 4 months as it's being released in April, so that would be another 2m units on the low end between dec 2010 and april 2011. So for the first full year that the ipad would be out chas_m is guestimating 5m - 10m units sold. Might be a bit high, might be low, could be that it falls somewhere smack in the middle. But, his estimate hasn't increased 3 fold...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, his prediction didn't increase so much.

He said:

1m within first 3 mo, 3m by years end - not the anniversary. The anniversary would be an additional 4 months as it's being released in April, so that would be another 2m units on the low end between dec 2010 and april 2011. So for the first full year that the ipad would be out chas_m is guestimating 5m - 10m units sold. Might be a bit high, might be low, could be that it falls somewhere smack in the middle. But, his estimate hasn't increased 3 fold...
It has increased significantly, then.

Reaction score
I sort of don't want to rush to the 1st gen iPad. Like most of Apple products there would be second gen coming very quickly and probably be better and more polished....but then again, I need something like iPad! (I still would like a fine line stylus so I could use it as a notepad at my lectures etc).

C

chas_m

It has increased significantly, then.

No, it didn't change at all ... you just didn't read it very closely.

What I said was:

1M in the first three months of availability.

3M by year's end (that's December in case you don't have a calendar handy).

In my second post, I predicted they will have sold *at least* 5M by the iPad's anniversary (April 3, 2011). This is just a natural expectation following on from the prediction of 3M by year's end.

As I said in my second post, I think I'm being conservative with my estimates, and they may well do even better than 5M units in the first year. But 5M units would be roughly on par with how well the iPod Touch did in its first year.

Another way to express the above prediction would be to say that I think the iPad will do at least as well as the iPod Touch did in its first year. Whether you think that constitutes the iPad being a "hit" or not depends on whether you think the iPod Touch was successful or not.

I hope that clarifies my position for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you said "probably closer to ten million" sales in the first year.

Or are you just trying to use as many numbers as you can to hedge your bets? Basically, now, you can claim to be right if they sell anything from 3 million in 8 months to ten million in a year, quite a margin of error you have manufactured for yourself there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Yeah, so what's your point?

Touchy touchy. Gee someone's in a defensive mood today.
I was just saying the numbers as a % of the entire population. And if you think about it, if 1/100 people own anything that's a pretty huge number. it meand no matter where you go you're likely to bump into someone who has one. I didn't day that is bad. I think it's good. You only assumed incorrectly I thought that was bad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.