iPad Completely Dead Battery

Reaction score
My iPad 1 was stored in its original box for about 5 months with about 40 to 50 percent battery. When I took it out to charge, it was completely dead. No red flashing battery and reset didn't work. What should I do? Please help!

OP
D
Reaction score
Oh, and I tried connecting to iTunes with no avail. I know the battery is 5 years old now but I had laptops older than that and still have working batteries. :\

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I agree with you that 5 year old laptop batteries can still have working batteries. But in this case (if your iPad won't charge)...then it's very possible that during the 5 months that this iPad was stored...the battery went completely dead (or was low for a long time & eventually died).

No matter how good (young or old) a battery is. If it's allowed to completely lose all charge...and left in this state for a long time...it will kill the battery.

Again...if your iPad's battery will not charge...then it is probably dead (assuming the cable & wall plug are fine). Time for a new battery.

Luckily (if you can do the work yourself)...the cost of replacing the battery is pretty minimal ($6.97 + shipping)::)

iPad Battery Replacement

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks, Nick!
Looks like replacing battery is a pretty daunting task considering you would have to remove the logic board and screen. I might do it. The battery is actually more like 18 dollars since shipping is like 12. LOL

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks, Nick!
Looks like replacing battery is a pretty daunting task considering you would have to remove the logic board and screen. I might do it.

Yes...not super easy...but doable. Just take it slow.

In case you haven't already checked it out already. Here's the procedure from ifixit.com:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPad+Wi-Fi+Battery+Replacement/2198

The battery is actually more like 18 dollars since shipping is like 12. LOL

That's why I said "+shipping"...it's different for different folks.:) You could also try shopping other places for a battery (eBay for example)...may be able to get it for less. But realistically...$18 bucks is pretty cheap as it goes for any electronics repair!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.