iPad and tethering?

Reaction score
Assuming that at some point AT&T offers tethering here in the US, anyone have a sense as to whether we'll be able to use our iPhones as modems for the iPad and buy the wi-fi version? I saw that there was not a USB port on the device, for example. I would hate to pay $30/month for each device. But if AT&T stays true to form I probably would have to ...

Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I really wouldn't count on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I was wondering the same thing. It doesn't look like you will be able to physically connect an iPhone and an iPad, so USB tethering is probably out.

What about Bluetooth? Has anyone with 2 iPhones tried to tether one to another via Bluetooth? I suspect it doesn't work, but I'm not sure exactly why. I tether via USB extensively, but never use BT because of the battery drain on the iPhone.

OP
S
Reaction score
I really wouldn't count on it.

That would really suck, to be honest. Apple and AT&T would be putting their best customers in the position of having to pay AT&T twice for essentially the same service. *sigh* Really makes me want to get a Kindle instead ...

Cheers

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That would really suck, to be honest. Apple and AT&T would be putting their best customers in the position of having to pay AT&T twice for essentially the same service. *sigh* Really makes me want to get a Kindle instead ...

Cheers

lol, sorry, but I find that pretty funny since the only connection you're going to get from a Kindle is to download books from Amazon...that's it...No internet, no e-mail...and all in what, 16 shades of black?

As for downloading books, I guess if you need 3g because you have no internet connection at home, ok. But, I would wager those folks looking at either one of these devices without highspeed internet service at their residence are far and few between.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24 inch/iPhone 3G
Assuming that at some point AT&T offers tethering here in the US, anyone have a sense as to whether we'll be able to use our iPhones as modems for the iPad and buy the wi-fi version? I saw that there was not a USB port on the device, for example. I would hate to pay $30/month for each device. But if AT&T stays true to form I probably would have to ...

Any thoughts?

Maybe I misunderstand how wifi works. Even if you could tether with your iPhone since it's using a 3G network wouldn't your iPad also have to have 3G built in as opossed to the wifi version only?

Regardless I'm just getting the wifi version. I rather not pay an extra $130 up front to include 3G on the iPad and then on top of that have to pay AT&T another $30 for using their 3G network. They get enough money out of me from my iPhone contract.

There are plenty of wifi hotspots so I'm not too worried about having access when I need to have it.

OP
S
Reaction score
I would be using the iPad primarily as a reader and largely while traveling - the only reason I am considering it is because I left my Kindle on an airplane last week. lol For the above poster, with an appropriate connection you would not need the 3G equipment inside the iPhone any more than you need an internal 3G modem when you tether your iPhone to a MacBook (um, that is, whenver AT&T let's us do that). 3G is very handy when I travel for downloading books as it avoids the need to find an available WiFi hotspot. Essential? No. Handy? Yes. Worth an extra $30/year? That's the question.

I am looking forward to tethering because then I can dump my Sprint USB 3G modem and their monthly charges too ...

I would not be using the iPad (at least initially) for internet access, movies or email when I travel because I carry my MacBook and iPhone already. Its heavier and more expensive than the Kindle (which is a great reader BTW) but does have all the cool added features. Hence the question.

Glad I amused you Bobtomay! :D

Cheers

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That bites to have left it behind on the plane. At least you can redownload your books again. My wife has a kindle and I'd been eyeing the DX just in the last couple of months. The iPad really has come out at about the perfect time for me before I did splurge on that DX model.

I know we're all going to be using the device for quite different things.
It'll be nice once we can actually get our hands on them to find exactly how far it's usefulness will carry.

OP
S
Reaction score
Indeed it will ... I think that's going to be very helfpul for this device in particular. No one really understood the iPhone's full potential for a little while after they came out, and then *boom* Having said that, I'm a little more reserved about this device but we'll see!

I'm not a big fan of the DX, for size reasons mostly, but I do think that Amazon will wind up lowering Kindle prices come springtime.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I also have a Kindle2 and was seriously tempted by the Kindle DX. Also tempted by the Nook, as I have loads of ebooks from years of using Palm PDAs and Treos. I don't think that is available for the UK yet.

Now the iPad has been announced, I am thinking of waiting for that - although it never seems wise to go straight for the Mark I of anything.

One thing which I find disappointing is that it seems there will be no GPS on the non-3G versions of the iPad. With the larger screen and a built-in GPS, the iPad would make a superb navigation device, especially for people like me with failing eyesight. Of course, it might look rather silly attached to the dashboard or windscreen of my car, but for walking it might be good. Then again, walking around the streets with an iPad on show might be a little too tempting for thieves.

As for ebooks, I assume the iPad will run the Kindle for iPhone app? Otherwise, I end up buying and using ebooks for the eReader (Palm or Nook), ebooks for the Kindle, ebooks for other ereaders (the ones where you need Adobe Digital Editions to transfer the ebooks) and then another different set of ebooks for the iPad ereader. All of them can be used on the iPhone (and therefore presumably on the iPad) with the appropriate reader app.

Is there any more information about release dates please? I think they said March - are we talking beginning of March or later than that? :Confused:

Edit - a greatly reduced price for the Kindle DX might stir things up a bit :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, MacMini, G4/867 Quicksilver
Camera kit comes with usb for iPad

I was wondering the same thing. It doesn't look like you will be able to physically connect an iPhone and an iPad, so USB tethering is probably out.

What about Bluetooth? Has anyone with 2 iPhones tried to tether one to another via Bluetooth? I suspect it doesn't work, but I'm not sure exactly why. I tether via USB extensively, but never use BT because of the battery drain on the iPhone.

The camera kit comes with a device you can put into the 30-pin port of your iPad. In the other end it has a usb-port.

But of course nobody outside Apple knows whether it will be able to use to connect the iPhone with an iPad in order to tether. Also, nobody knows whether we will be able to tether through bluetooth.

But of course we will know before we buy a WiFi iPad. Simply put, that will be one of the first thing people will examine when it comes out at the end of next month.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Totally mobile here, our home weighs over 6 tonnes and has 6 wheels. :)

I can tether my old 3G phone to my MacBook Pro using Bluetooth or USB so hope that will be an option. All phones are unlocked in NZ.

Internet sharing from my MacBook Pro via Airport should be another option when it's online as I use a USB Modem for Mobile Broadband Internet access.

Will probably get a 3G model iPad anyway as WiFi hot spots are non existent outside main centres and it will help for resale value.

Just hope Telecom XT will supply the iPads Micro SIM Cards in addition to Vodafone who have already said they will.

A Major plus ~ an iPad @ 10W will use far less power (Solar) from the batteries via the sine wave inverter than the 15" MBP @ 65W does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Is there any more information about release dates please? I think they said March - are we talking beginning of March or later than that? :Confused:

It's supposed to be released 60 days after the announcement, so end of March or early April.

Reaction score
Go for wifi, unless you are flying everywhere all the time, how much internet use can you get done on a subway or on a bus?

Watch you look both ways before crossing the street, I noticed people are becoming desensitized to the world around them, too much txting, and loling when in harms way.

C

chas_m

One thing which I find disappointing is that it seems there will be no GPS on the non-3G versions of the iPad.

Actually, Apple's specs for the iPad tout "assisted GPS," which I presume means the use of 3G and/or Wifi "triangulation" to give you reasonably accurate location and mapping, but not the "live tracking" one gets from "real" GPS.

I guess we'll have to see how it does when it comes out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
That's why texting while driving a car is illegeal in my conutry. And I'm sure accessing the net via 3G in your ipad while driving a car in my country would be illegeal too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.