iPad and protected eBooks in .pdf format

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Intel 2.66GHz,10GB RAM,4 1.5TB HDD's,OS 10.6, 24" Cinema,iSight,Alum. Kybd,Razor Pro|Click
Greetings,

I recently purchased some password protected eBooks in .pdf format from Apress and am wondering if anyone has insight if the iPad reader may support password protected eBooks in this format.

Thanks for your time!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Hard to tell right now . I also purchased a couple of those from Apress and was never able to open them on my iPhone so.....

Clay

C

chas_m

You might try contacting APress and asking them if an iPhone/iPad app can be made, or if one is already compatible with their stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Future iPad owner
The iPad app will use the e-pub format, which works on just about every reader out there except the Kindle.

OP
BKRonline
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Intel 2.66GHz,10GB RAM,4 1.5TB HDD's,OS 10.6, 24" Cinema,iSight,Alum. Kybd,Razor Pro|Click
I'll contact Apress and see if there is a resolution, thanks for the suggestion :)

ePub format is easily converted to MOBI format. For instance if someone uses InDesign to create a digital edition, this can be converted for kindle.

What I see with the iPhone just using the iDisk application when I attempt to view a small (7.5MB) password protected .pdf from Apress is 350+ blank pages. A larger password protected file (26MB) will tend to simply crash the application.

Also, to thwart any potential pirating flame... this thread is about viewing legitimately owned protected eBooks in the form of .pdf on said media viewer.

Any more ideas?

C

chas_m

It should be pointed out that Kindle for iPhone (along with Stanza and every other iPhone/iPod Touch ereader app out there) will work out-of-the-box with the iPad (though obviously the experience will be much better with native iPad e-reader apps.

It should also be mentioned that Apple has done and doesn't appear likely to do anything at all to stop these and future eReaders (even those that have built-in buying) from coming to the iPad, so looks like good times for ebook fans going forward.

OP
BKRonline
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sure thing, I just want to be able to view my current library of password protected eBooks in the form of .pdf as well :)

I've contacted Apress and will let the community know the deal when I do.

OP
BKRonline
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apress Support replied to my email, this is what they said:

Hi (edited),

Thanks for contacting Apress Customer Support.

We are currently looking into alternative formats for our eBooks which would allow them to be read across multiple eReader platforms.

You can expect an announcement on this in the coming months.

Thanks,
Apress Customer Support

It looks like there's hope in the future of compatibility between readers with their eBooks. Let's just hope that our CURRENTLY OWNED eBooks will still work on future formats.

Keep your eyes and ears open to their announcements :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Apress Support replied to my email, this is what they said:

It looks like there's hope in the future of compatibility between readers with their eBooks. Let's just hope that our CURRENTLY OWNED eBooks will still work on future formats.

Keep your eyes and ears open to their announcements :p

Thats great news ! Thanx for the leg work and the update.

Clay

Reaction score
University of Phoenix Online eBooks

I'm a student at the University of Phoenix Online. I download all of my textbooks from the university library and many of them are either protected PDFs or are broken into chapters, some of which are protected.

I contacted the Apple Store today and asked them if I'd be able to view them...they said they didn't know, but that if I could open it on an iPhone, I could open it on the iPad. I tried it on an iPhone, and could open the unprotected ones just fine. I was able to open the protected ones, but they were blacked out (except for the pictures) and I was not presented with the username / password fields to unlock it like I am on my PC.

Hope that gets figured out. Otherwise I'll need to reprint all of my textbooks as PDFs so I can view them on the iPad (some of which prohibit printing). I was really hoping to carry all of my school texts on here.

OP
BKRonline
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My first guess is that the iPad application that reads iTunes Store iBooks (in ePub format) will probably only support this format and not focus on being a end-all solution for every electronic publication flavor.

We may have to rely on either individual publishers to come out with their own applications or at least maybe a 3rd party application (a mobile version of adobe acrobat reader for the iPhone / iPad / iPod Touch?) that can handle protected PDF documents.

We'll all know for sure in a short time, but developers must know that there's hot demand for a reader such as this, for a device such as this :)

I'm too new to iPad development to come up with one myself, hehe.

Reaction score
Aji Reader

I found this post while doing some research because I am really leaning towards purchasing the iPad. It is very important to me that I would be able to read the Apress books that I have purchased. After reading your post, I found the iPhone app called Aji Reader. I don't have an iPhone either so can't test it out. It looks like it would work for password protected PDF's. I'd love to hear from anyone here to see if it truly does work and how well. Here is the site: Aji Reader

OP
BKRonline
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll test this on my iPhone as soon as I can and report the results. Thanks :)

OP
BKRonline
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So far so good! And right now it's free, usually 0.99$

You have to find a way to put your ebooks in a location on the web where it can access and download it via a link. In my case I do some web development so I just made a folder on one of my sites root directories and put my ebooks in there to be found.

I was able to successfully download, store, and open my Apress ebook I bought a few months ago on learning c for the mac. There's an option to store passwords too, and so far my first impression is that this is the way to go... mind you I've only been in this application only a few minutes.

Thanks for the info IwantAIpad, and I hope this information helps!

:) rock on!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.