iPad and ethernet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I am considering getting an iPad to replace our 2010 MacBook Pro. Is there any way of connecting it via ethernet and not using wifi?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You'll need the right adapters, but yeah it should be possible. Assuming the newest iPads have USB-C connectors on them, you'll need something like this:

If the iPad still has the lightening connector, then you'll need something like this:

Then you can go into Network settings and configure stuff.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I tried this a year or two ago for a teacher I worked with at the time. Although he only had a few students at a time in his classroom, the wireless signal was often spotty especially if the rest of the building was using Wi-Fi. The Lightning to ethernet adapters worked well. The UsB-C ones should work equally well.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
At the moment we are trying to decide between an iPad gen10 and one of the smaller MBook Air models and the ethernet connection may well swing it because even with the lump of 200 beer tokens for the Apple magique keyboard folio it would work out quite a lot cheaper for us poor, undernourished and hard done by pensioners :rockon

One of the advantages of the iPad is the carrying size and weight

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.