iPad Air 2 won't boot up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, MacBook, iPad & iPhone
Last night I downloaded iOS 8.3 on to my iPad Air 2. This took some considerable time. Now it won't boot up. It goes through the following sequence. Hello>put in Passcode>Update Completed>Press Contunue>Apple Logo and progress bar shows>Finish setting up iCloud>Password or Skip (I have tried both options>Updating Cloud options>Press Get Started>Apple logo and progress bar appears>The home screen with all the App icons appear for a split second>Apple logo appears with progress bar, again>iPad shuts down to a black screen.

I have tried this countless times to no avail. What can be going wrong and how can I fix it?

C

chas_m

Connect to iTunes, back it up, restore as new, then restore back from your backup.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your response chas_m. I have tried what you suggested but I get the following response "iTunes could not back up the iPad because it has not been set up yet." That is the whole problem, it refuses to set up. I hit the Back Up Now during the whole set up process that I described in my first message without success.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Doesn't anybody know the answer to my problem?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Something went wrong with your 8.3 update and now your iPad Air 2 is confused. Try doing a hard reset which hopefully will get you back to where you can reset it from iTunes or at least go through another setup sequence. Take a look at this article. If that doesn't work, take your iPad to Apple.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that, but it didn't work unfortunately. I had already made an appointment with an Apple Authorised Repair Centre. Hopefully they can crack the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks for that, but it didn't work unfortunately. I had already made an appointment with an Apple Authorised Repair Centre. Hopefully they can crack the problem.

Hi Jeremy - you may have this already fixed by the time you read my post, but if the usual backup & restore maneuvers do not work w/ iTunes, then your other two options are to try Recovery Mode or as a last resort, DFU - the latter link is to an excellent guide for Device Firmware Update in the iPad Forums - but please let us know what was done by the Apple people. Dave :)

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This morning the Apple Authorised Repair Centre, which is an hour away from me, put it through the tests and confirmed that the iPad has failed and is irreparable. I will collect a new one supplied by Apple on Monday.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.