iPad Air 1 or 2?

Reaction score
Hi, I'm getting my first iPad and was wondering if the 2 is really worth it, when I can get the generation before it for 50 dollars less and double the space. Thanks for your input!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi: Spend the extra $50 and get the latest. There are definite improvements from the Air 1 to the Air 2. You won't regret it. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi, I'm getting my first iPad and was wondering if the 2 is really worth it, when I can get the generation before it for 50 dollars less and double the space. Thanks for your input!

Hi - I just replaced my old iPad 2 w/ an iPad Air 2 - I'm sure that you've already checked but look @ the specs HERE - the main differences are: 1) Fingerprint technology; 2) 8 MP vs. 5 MP back camera; and 3) A8X/M8 vs. A7/M7 chipset - prepare for the future and buy the most recent iPad.

BTW, I'm loving the 'fingerprint technology' and worth the extra price of the device for me - SO, my suggestion is obvious - good luck in your choice. Dave :)

C

chas_m

You must be going for the lowest-end model, because the middle-tier iPad Air had 32GB while the new one has 64GB for the same price.

Among the other reasons why the iPad Air 2 is worth way more than $50, even if the Air 1 has more storage:

1. Twice as much RAM in the new one
2. A8 processor and associated graphics system = waaaay better (specifically, 40 percent faster CPU and 2.5x faster GPU)
3. TOUCH ID. This is in ALL CAPS because that's how way awesome it is. So secure, so handy, so Apple Pay
4. 8MP camera instead of 5MP camera, other internal camera improvements
5. The Air 2 is 18 percent thinner and 32g lighter than the Air 1, despite being a lot more powerful. Much easier to hold
6. Now available in gold if you want (not very important to me, VERY important to some people)
7. 802.11ac and MIMO support, in short better connectivity
8. More compatibility with LTE/3G standards in other countries (important if you travel)
9. Reduced-glare coating on the new iPad Air 2

Don't get me wrong, if storage is your top priority then the original iPad Air should do you just fine. But IMO the iPad Air 2 brought more than $50 worth of improvements.

OP
M
Reaction score
It's actually 100 dollars more for the 16GB iPad 2. I just don't know if that's enough space :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
It's actually 100 dollars more for the 16GB iPad 2. I just don't know if that's enough space :/

Hi again - I would strongly discourage you from buying a 16 GB model, especially if you are planning on putting music, videos, magazines, books, etc. on the device.

I bought the iPad Air 2 w/ 64 GB and once the device was restored and my books & magazines were updated, I transferred over 100 hrs. of MP3 music - I now have about 30 GB of storage left, and will likely add some more music (although w/ Spotify & the Amazon MP3 apps on the device + bluetooth speakers & headphones, I should have enough! ;))

And keep in mind that you are NOT getting 16 GB of storage, i.e. a small portion (maybe about 3 GB) will be used for the iOS and native apps; for a good discussion, READ THIS. If your budget is the issue, i.e. the 64 GB iPad Air 2 (a 32 GB model is not offered) vs. a less expensive model w/ at least 32 GB of storage and you want the device now, then really your choice - good luck. Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with Dave. Nowadays, 16 GB is just not enough space for an iPad or iPhone. As Dave mentioned, the operating system (iOS) and included apps will take up about 3 to 4 GB of space leaving you with around 12 GB. That will fill up quickly if you have music to add and of course other things. Consider purchasing 32 GB at a minimum with 64 GB being even better.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.