Ipad 2 should I update to ios 8

Reaction score
Hi read the iOS 8 slow the iPad 2, but with this new updates doues anyone know if is ok to update or I keep the iOS 7?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I installed iOS 8 on my iPad 3 and it works fine. No slowdowns. However, since you have an iPad 2, it might be best to leave it at iOS 7 unless you have specific need for 8.

Reaction score
Keep iOS7 :) iOS8 is really sluggish. Especially when you rotate the screen and opening some apps. pft!

C

chas_m

The real answer to this question depends on how long you intend on keeping that iPad 2. If you think you're going to hang onto it for several more years, you're going to have to deal with iOS 8. Maybe iOS 9. Since it runs slower on your more limited machine, you'll have to make some accommodations and changes to optimize its performance.

On the other hand, if you expect to be replacing this iPad sometime in the relatively near future, you might just as well stick to iOS 7, since it performs better on that particular machine. You can upgrade to iOS 8 or IOS 9 when you buy newer machine that already comes with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.