IOS8 updates

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 "MacBookPro (2011).
Is this new system draining my phone or is my battery dying? I have a 2 year old 4S. This has only happened since the new update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Is this new system draining my phone or is my battery dying? I have a 2 year old 4S. This has only happened since the new update.

Sir, MORE detail! First, please explain what you mean by 'draining my phone or is my battery dying? Second, which iOS 8.x upgrade are you on (current one is 8.1.1). Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Installing iOS 8 on a 4S is really not recommended. Leaving it running iOS 7 would have been better. Did you make a backup before installing iOS 8?

OP
bluecheer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 "MacBookPro (2011).
Current version ( 8.1.1 ) is installed. I have to charge my battery everyday hence 'draining' dying means the battery my need replacing. Thanks Dave.

chscag - I was not informed by anyone to not install iOS8. I wish I had asked first and no I didn't make a backup before installing.

Thanks to both of you. You live and learn.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just did some extensive checking around, and it looks like you're stuck with iOS 8.X. Apple stopped signing iOS 7.1.2 and it will no longer install to your 4S. I can't speak for a jailbreak though... so you might want to do some Googling around to see if you can find something.

The problem is the 4S is just not "hefty" enough to run 8 which needs more horses and takes up more space. And yes, you're not the only one who has complained about 8 draining the battery faster on the 4S.

C

chas_m

Jailbreaking now is FAR too much of a security risk to recommend to anyone. It was (moderate) fun while it lasted ...

A specific feature of iOS 8.1.1 was to improve performance on older iPhones, so that's the first step I would suggest. The second step would be to check through the system preferences carefully and see if Bluetooth, location, background updating and other battery-draining items in iOS 8 were turned on when it was installed. I now BT, which I previously kept off, turned itself on with iOS 8 (because of the OS X continuity features, which I **LOVE**).

A quick way to test whether its you or the battery dying is to charge it fully, put the iPhone in Airplane mode for a day, see how much has been lost at the end of the day (should be next to nothing, maybe 10 percent if you use the screen/apps a lot).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Airplane mode suggestion by chas is a good one. But something I forgot to mention is that a 4S has a smaller capacity battery than a 5, 5C, 5S, and so on. Regardless of how much you're stingy with its usage, it's just going to need to be recharged more often. Contrast that to the new 6+ which can seemingly go a very long time between charges.

OP
bluecheer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 "MacBookPro (2011).
Thanks for all of your information. It's a wonder that 'Apple' didn't know these things would happen :) seeing as this is their product. I will try 'Airplane mode' and what happens.
Again thanks for all your help.

Reaction score
Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 11" (2014), 1.4 Ghz (TurboBoost 2.7 Ghz), 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, iPhone 4S 32GB, iPad Mini 16GB
It's nice to know, as I was just about to upgrade my 4S to iOS8.

After reading through the comments here I think I'll leave it. I'm well overdue an upgrade anyway, it's just thinking which model I want to upgrade to, as I'm not too fussed about phones anymore.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
After reading through the comments here I think I'll leave it.
I think that's probably a good call. While I think its commendable on Apple's part to try and support a three year old phone, I'm not sure it works in practice for many people (I've heard multiple people say that it doesn't work so well).

iOS 7 is more than capable so unless you absolutely need 8, you should be fine for a while.

M

MacInWin

Also go through setting for power hungry things. Location Services turns on the GPS receiver, for example, so minimize the number of Apps that can use Location services (Why does Facebook need to know where I am?) Also check the usual suspects--screen brightness, background applications still running, nav software using GPS, etc. All of those eat up battery.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.