IOS8 & 5S - Audio Quality when taking vieo

Reaction score
How does the audio sound when taking video? In IOS7 with the 5s on multiple phones I have tested, it is incredibly distorted when taking clips at CONCERTS or live music venues. This was NOT the case on the 4s when the microphone was not on the front of the camera.

Anyone have any news to report before I upgrade to IOS8.0.2?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm not an audio guru but I don't think software is going to resolve this issue. I suspect what is happening is that the microphones are being driven to distortion by the sound levels in those environments. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if the mics (built in) involved haven't been tuned to pick up voices at the expense of other sounds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
How does the audio sound when taking video? In IOS7 with the 5s on multiple phones I have tested, it is incredibly distorted when taking clips at CONCERTS or live music venues. This was NOT the case on the 4s when the microphone was not on the front of the camera.

Anyone have any news to report before I upgrade to IOS8.0.2?

Well, I cannot really answer the questions concerning the quality of the audio on a tiny device in the midst of a probably yelling crowd - probably just not going to be that good.

BUT, my main reason to respond concerns the 'legality' of recording 'live' concerts - I know that this is done all of the time and has few consequences (at least for now), but the number of copyrighted levels (music, lyrics, recordings, publishers, etc.) that could be violated are numerous - just one read HERE; a little googling will bring up many more hits - SO, the point is that basically stealing copyrighted material (including live performances) is illegal - Dave :)

C

chas_m

There are times when you're entirely welcome to record a concert, such as a school recital. For those occasions, I suggest a Blue Mikey, which has a setting for concerts that does a great job for avoiding distortion.

OP
L
Reaction score
Dave - I wasn't asking for an ethic lesson.

Many bands (I am in one myself) encourage you to tape and share their shows. The model of distribution that currently exists isn't working so the grassroots "look what I saw" is the new norm. As long as no one is profiting from it, there is usually no problem. Copyright infringement can happen just as easily watching a band, going home, and copying the guitar part you heard.

The issue of the mic is a moot point. I stated that the 4s took great video with great audio and the 6 takes great video and audio as well, in LOUD environments. It's a programming issue where compression levels were not set right. Basically it needs a "pad" to reduce the signal the mic hears.

I appreciate the replies just wish they were helpful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Dave - I wasn't asking for an ethic lesson.

Many bands (I am in one myself) encourage you to tape and share their shows. The model of distribution that currently exists isn't working so the grassroots "look what I saw" is the new norm. As long as no one is profiting from it, there is usually no problem. Copyright infringement can happen just as easily watching a band, going home, and copying the guitar part you heard.

Sorry Liberator - my comments were not directed @ you since I am well aware that 'certain' concerts and musical events encourage recording, and I did not know what type of events you were planning to record; so, just a general statement made that should be remembered.

Fortunately, having attended many 'live' concerts in recent years, a pre-performance announcement is usually made regarding whether video/audio recording is permitted - apologize again but my post was not meant to be personal. Dave :)

Last edited:
OP
L
Reaction score
Sorry Liberator - my comments were not directed @ you since I am well aware that 'certain' concerts and musical events encourage recording, and I did not know what type of events you were planning to record; so, just a general statement made that should be remembered.

Fortunately, having attended many 'live' concerts in recent years, a pre-performance announcement if usually made regarding whether video/audio recording is permitted - apologize again but my post was not meant to be personal. Dave :)

Dave, and I apologize as well if mine seemed personal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.