iOS 8.1.3 update puzzle

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
So both my iPhone 6+ and iPad Mini retina updated to the new iOS 8.1.3. I have noticed a change in the coordination of text & messages between my iPad, iPhone, and Macbook AIr OS X 10.10.2.

It use to be when I got a text, my iPhone made a tone and vibrated (unless silenced) and my iPad would make a sound along with my MB Air, if it was awake. If I answered the text it showed as answered on the iPad and the MB Air.

Now when I get a text on my iphone and I look at it and answer it, I will still get the notification sound going off on the others two up minutes, or even hours, later if the device was off or sleeping.

Prior to this update, when I got a text and looked at it the other devices would show the message but not make the notification sound or show a banner. In other words it looks like the feature that allows for the device I answered the message on to cancel the notification on the others is no longer working. Very annoying.

I know I can silence the iPad and MB Air but I like the redundancy because I frequently silence my iphone and forget to change it back.

I hope I explained this clearly. Has anyone else noticed this yet?

Lisa

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I have my iPhone 5S, iPad 2, Retina MBP and iMac all hooked up to the same Apple ID through Messages and if I receive a text, the iPhone will notify first and the iPad will notify shortly after if I don't look at it on the iPhone.

If my rMBP and iMac are up, they will also notify. On the other hand, when I'm sitting in Messages on the rMBP and receiving messages, none of my other devices show any notification. If I leave the app, then I get notifications on other devices.

My iMac is usually asleep and I have seen that any of my texts that were initially ignored will end up showing on the iMac when it wakes up even though I've since read them. The cancelation only happens if you immediately read the message. Ignoring it seems to queue it up on ALL devices. iDevices can wake up and do so to notify you, while laptops/desktops don't wake up and notify you when you wake them up in the future..

C

chas_m

I am not aware of any changes in the behaviour of my devices wrt to messages through the last few iOS updates, so I can't be of much help.

It could be that you need to revisit which devices should alert when messages come in from what numbers or email addresses. Yosemite on the MBA has a feature called Handoff that allows it to also "ring" or "alert" when a message comes in on your iPhone, but of course you can configure that and set "do not disturb" times on each device.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My experience with messages is the same as that of Ashwin and I rather like it that way since I actually prefer answering using my iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I noticed that my notifications go to the device I am using at the time so if I get an SMS or iMessage it will go to my Air first if I am on it and if I do not respond in a few minutes it goes to my iPhone or iMac.

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Believe it or not I think it is getting better and acting like it use to. Not sure why.

What I expect to happen is for my iPhone to alert then usually next is my iPad. If I answer on my iphone the iPad shuts up. If I wake up my MB Air it will not show any notifications but if I open messages they will be there. If I get a text/message with my MB Air awake then I expect it to notify me - and it does, along with the iPad and iPhone, but when I answer it on the MB Air, they all quit notifying and show it as answered.

What was happening, which was a huge pain, was when I woke my MB Air, it would act like it was playing catch up on old text and it would keep notifying me even though I had answered them hours ago.

So that seems to have stopped and it all seems to be working now. Could it have been a problems with my carrier? If so it would seem strange it started with the latest iOS X update.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So that seems to have stopped and it all seems to be working now. Could it have been a problems with my carrier? If so it would seem strange it started with the latest iOS X update.

Gremlins Lisa. :p If it happens again, we'll see about sending an exorcist to drive the critters out. :Angry-Tongue:

Seriously, probably a glitch with your carrier. I've had the same thing happen on occasion with my carrier (T-Mobile) I notice that it will sometimes happen when my Sister-in-Law sends us a message from her Android phone. Other times she sends messages to my wife's iPhone without any problems.

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well the gremlins seem to be gone for now. My carrier is Sprint and usually they are pretty good. It could have been a kinda changing of the protocol handling issue.

It has to be incredibly tricky to keep all of the features coordinated and working. I am sure there are days at Apple there is someone saying, "Well, that didn't work."

I am just glad it is working again.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.