iOS 8.0.2 trouble with embedded YouTube videos

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
Is anyone else having trouble with embedded YouTube videos with iOS 8.0.2 on an iPad Air? I used to be able to watch them with iOS 8.0.0.

I can still watch them on my iPhone 6, but on the iPad they are just flat screens with YouTube red 'play' icon; when I click on them nothing happens.

OP
D

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To clarify, I'm talking about watching them embedded into websites with Safari.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I can watch youtube on my iPad Mini, but as you can see in the below image, watching it embedded, it has this crazy grey screen on the side. The video still plays on the left, and I can then go full screen no issues.

But this is where it gets really weird, I can close down the Safari Tab, and he audio still comes through, and then I put it into the App Switcher (with said tab STILL closed) and audio still plays while I browse for another App. I have to swipe away Safari to close it, for Audio to go away (Have submitted bug report)

hww48sP.jpg

Reaction score
trouble viewing you tube videos with ios8

I have ipad 4th gen and also am experiencing trouble viewing you tube videos since upgrade to ios8. Have to keep tapping red arrow many times to finally get video to start. Really frustrating.

OP
D

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, good(!) to hear that it's not just me.

ETA: just done some experimenting. The video plays if you don't click the red 'play' icon but instead click anywhere else in the embedded video.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.