• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

IOGEAR USB-C Docking Station Review: Piles of Ports and 100 Watt Power Delivery

Reaction score
IOGEAR USB-C Docking Station Review: Piles of Ports and 100 Watt Power Delivery

04a4cc85.jpg

Having one device to rule them all is an increasingly realistic dream, especially if that device is a laptop paired with a capable docking station like the IOGEAR GUD3C05. Here’s our take after putting it through the paces.
That one device lifestyle has been a dream of mine for ages—just a laptop that I can drop in and work from a desktop-like setup when I want, but something that’s super easy to grab and take with me, too. That dream is very easy to make a reality these days, as there are tons of great laptop docks floating around out there. I recently got a chance to check out one such dock, the not-so-cleverly named GUD3C05 from IOGEAR. They just call it “USB-C Docking Station with Power Delivery 3.0,” which doesn’t really roll off the tongue (and is honestly really vague). But let’s but aside the lackluster name and look at the hardware itself.
[h=2]The Details: A Bunch of Ports and PD to Boot[/h]A good dock is only worth what it can do for you, which means the more it can do, the more useful it will be. The IOGEAR USB-C dock is packed with all the useful stuff you’d want for your USB-C equipped laptop—especially at a price of $180 (it’s currently on Amazon for $155).
a67b78fb.jpg

Here are all the ports:

• USB-C Power Delivery Pass-Through (100 watts)
  • VGA
  • HDMI
  • Mini DisplayPort
  • Ethernet
  • SD slot
  • MicroSD slot
  • 3x USB-A ports
  • 1x USB-C port
  • 3.5mm audio jack
This dock has more ports than any other IOGEAR dock before it, so all in all, it covers pretty much every base out there, all with one little USB-C port. With the included video ports, you can run:

• VGA: 1080p
  • HDMI: 4K
  • Mini DisplayPort: 4K
  • HDMI + Mini DisplayPort: 1080p
IOGEAR claims that the latter option only works on Windows machines, but I’m currently staring at a Pixelbook docked into two 24-inch 1080p displays and it’s working flawlessly. Yeah—a Chromebook is pushing (technically) three displays right now: the internal panel, and two externals using just the IOGEAR dock.
d2a584e6.jpg
Cameron SummersonThe overall footprint of the dock is decent. It’s not the smallest I’ve seen, but it’s also not meant to be. This isn’t a dock that’s designed to be tossed in your bag and used like a USB hub or SD card reader—it’s meant to stay on your desk with all your junk connected to it.
[h=3]Read the remaining 10 paragraphs[/h]

Read more at howtogeek.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.