Internet is suddenly, painfuly slow

H

hansolo90

I joined qwest DSL about 8 months ago, and my Internet was rockin (1.5). However, within the last month or so it has grown painfully slow. I have plenty of RAM. My ISP ran a package test and said the speed is fine, and to contact Apple. I don't know whether to believe them or not. Is it possibly due to recent security or OS updates? I am running the latest and greatest Apple has to offer (10.3.8 etc.). At work we are running Mac OS 10.3.5 and it is much faster. The speed is the same regardless of the browser I am using (Safari, Firefox, IE).

Anyhelp would be a godsend, as I am at my wits end. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
have you repaired permissions or reset the pram?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Well, remember that you are only as fast as the website you are downloading from. It might be possible that some websites are slowing down over time; that's my guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hansolo90 said:
Permissions are reset on a regular basis. How do I reset the pram?
shut down your mac, while starting up, hold down command+option+P+R, until you hear the startuip sound 3 times, then release the keys.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Something else to consider, are you the only one on your network? Do you share a connection with someone? Are you wireless? Maybe someone is using your connection unbeknowst to you.

OP
H

hansolo90

I reset the PRAM, but it did not help. Every web site I'd go to was slow, not just specific ones. I'm talking about 30 second download times per web page. I am running a wireless network, but if I understand it correctly I have my modem settings to only recognize my wireless card. Wireless is still new to me so I could be wrong, and maybe someone is freeloading. On that thought, I shut down my modem last night, and after booting it up this morning My speed was rockin right where it should be. I've done this previously to no avail, but I never shut it down fo this length of time before. My best results with DSL reports today are 1262 down, 545 up. I will have to keep an eye on it to see if it is consistant. Any other ideas? Thanks for all you input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the only way to be sure no one is using your connection is if you're using wep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.58 - 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive - 1 GB PC3200 & 1.33 Ghz 12" iBook w/ 80 GB 7200 RPM HD
If you're relying on WEP to give your connection true security...I've got this great piece of land in southern Louisiana that I would love to sell you.

OP
X

xthisisRomancex

how is WEP not you best choice with it 128 or better bit encryption.. how would you get around that... ..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
If your download speed from your provider is quoted as 1.5mbps down then the 2264kbps you're getting is actually very good. You're actually getting faster downloads than your provider is saying they're giving you.

OP
I

iDVFH.

This happened to me when I first got Roadrunner..It was unbelievably fast and then it slowly decreased..I wanted to know what had happened so I called up RoadRunner..they said they had so many people getting it at the time that they didn't have enough resources to keep the connecgtion speed at top level..they actually had to go in and build more up..(whether or not they told the truth..i don't know) lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.