International call problem on iPhone 13

Reaction score
When abroad, I can make calls on my iPhone 13 running IOS 16.2, but can not receive calls. Help please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
This is something that is completely.... foreign... to me. 😂 But let's take a stab. When you are abroad, are you using your existing phone number (where are you from anyway?) or swapping your SIM card out for one local to the country you are in? Some more details would also be helpful. Such as... are the calls you are failing to receive all from your country of origin, or local to where you are traveling? Who is your carrier?

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi. I am from the UK and am using my UK phone number. The calls are from the UK. My phone rings but there is nothing when I answer. Virgin Media is my carrier and ISP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi. I am from the UK and am using my UK phone number. The calls are from the UK. My phone rings but there is nothing when I answer. Virgin Media is my carrier and ISP.

Take a look at this discussion on Apple's forums:

Since you can place calls fine, I assume you must have dial assist turned on and properly using the country prefix to make calls back to the UK.

Since your phone actually rings when someone is calling you, that suggests to me that you can receive them fine even though you hear nothing when answering. That really suggests a carrier issue to me. You may be roaming in an area that your carrier doesn't work well with. I'm googling around and can't find any potential solution involving something wrong with your iPhone. Unless someone else chimes in with more qualified advice, I think you are best running this by your carrier. Otherwise, a good solution would be to use a local SIM card while traveling to ensure you can connect without issues locally. I found a guide that seems to be well thought out exploring various alternatives and costs.

EDIT: here's another guide

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.