Internal to external optical drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air Yosemite 10.10.2
Is there a way to make a 2008 mackbook internal optical drive recognized by a 2014 macbook air using an enclosure w/usb? (I'm getting power to the drive and hearing it spin w/a disc in but it is not being recognized even in disk utility)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Think your problem is the slot loading optical drive has passed its use by date. Slot loaders have a very high failure rate compared to trayloaders in older desktops. If it is original, you have had an extremely good run. With my iMac purchased a cheap Samsung SE-208 which is USB powered via dual port connectors.

The day of the optical drive is behind us alas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Is there a way to make a 2008 mackbook internal optical drive recognized by a 2014 macbook air using an enclosure w/usb? (I'm getting power to the drive and hearing it spin w/a disc in but it is not being recognized even in disk utility)

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) As Harry states, the days of optical drives in computers are coming to an end, so you might want to tell us 'why' you feel the need for one?

I have an early 2013 MBPro which came w/o an optical drive (as you obviously know) - I bought an Apple USB SuperDrive mainly to burn purchased MP3 music to a CD-R for playing and backup purposes; but, I don't do much else w/ it.

If you indeed need an optical device, I would suggest a new one and consider obtaining a blu-ray option, e.g. to play BD movies and also for a MUCH larger capacity if you plan to use it for backup storage? Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.