Internal battery?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
I've heard iMacs have an internal battery so when there is no power source they can maintain time, etc. I probably leave my Mac without power only for the odd long weekend and maybe an annual 1–2 week holiday. Does this battery recharge itself? Am I better off leaving it plugged in but switched off?

Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Many iMac models (2004 thru 2011) use this battery to maintain system settings. These batteries can last up to 5 years…whether the computer is plugged in or not. Nothing to be concerned about.;)

NWTCR2032_hero.jpg

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
Thanks. :)

Do they get used less while the computer is on though?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do they get used less while the computer is on though?

These batteries can last up to 5 years (5 years plugged in or not)…and here in the U.S…the battery pictured above from macsales.com costs $1.79. And…I can get 10 "cheapie versions" of this battery for $1.00 at many local flea markets.

As to your question. I do not think that there is any internal circuitry that "charges" this battery. Strictly a "one-way street".

Bottom line. These batteries last a very long time…and they are inexpensive to replace.:)

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
Ah right, great, thank you! It's just I'd read they are a pain to replace (as in hard to fit, not hard/expensive to buy). Is there any truth in that?

If and when it does go is your Mac still operational?

Thanks for your help. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's just I'd read they are a pain to replace (as in hard to fit, not hard/expensive to buy). Is there any truth in that?

For the average person who does not open up computers very often…yes…replacing the battery is a pain to replace. But for those of us willing & able to open up a computer…replacing this battery is not always that difficult.

It comes down to the specific model in question (some are easier or harder than others to replace this battery)…and how comfortable someone is working on computers.

If and when it does go is your Mac still operational?

In most cases yes (depends on the model).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
They do not recharge. I'm one of the few who does an actual complete shut-down every night, and after 2.5 years, no problems.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
They do not recharge. I'm one of the few who does an actual complete shut-down every night, and after 2.5 years, no problems.

Actually, the PRAM battery will last longer if you keep your Mac on all the time rather than shut it down. According to ifixit, the PRAM battery in an iMac can typically last from 7 to 10 years or longer. Read the following article.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
Yes. I was illustrating that my iMac is off every single night, so it has passed the longevity test (PRAM battery) and surely he has nothing to worry about as he shuts down for a week or two and the odd weekend.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
Thanks everyone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.