intermittent buzz from 2014 27" iMac

Reaction score
I have a 2014 iMac i5 with 1 TV fusion drive that occasionally will get this 3 second buzz sound. I've noticed it the past few months.
it doesn't happen all the time, and i can't recall any specific program being used. it just happens occasionally.
At first i thought it was my iPhone on the desk vibrating. That is what it sounds like.
I ignored it at first, but now thinking since Apple care runs out soon I should investigate.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Might be a good idea before your Apple Care runs out to make an appointment and let the genius bar run diagnostics. The buzzing sound could be the power supply but it's hard to guess otherwise.

OP
C
Reaction score
I guess that is a good idea. As much as I hate to drag it in there, at least it's better than having it die right after the apple care runs out.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Apart from the power supply, the other case for buzzing either constant or intermittent is dust along the air vents. The iMac is designed to suck cool air from the bottom of the screen, flow it over all the components and then push out the hot air on top. You might want to run a quick cloth against the vents to see if that changes anything. You should be careful using any sort of compress air canisters here since you don't want to blow any of the dust inside the iMac itself..

OP
C
Reaction score
Checked the vents and all clear. But thanks for that advice. Didn't think of that.
We have an appointment at the Apple store. Hopefully it's nothing major.

Reaction score
I was getting an intermittent buzz coming out of my speakers and sometimes I got a sound like someone knocking. I read somewhere about having a cell phone close to the computer causing it so I moved my phone, (Android) off my desk and put it behind me and I haven't heard the noise since.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.