Interesting read

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Seems to be real. Can't find anything that suggest how a computer gets infected. I am assuming possibly through email????

I read this article that suggests some things you can do to protect your Mac:

Roll-your-own Defense Against Mac.BackDoor.iWorm - Jacob Salmela

I am not sure how well his suggestions would work. I don't have a javaw folder in my Library/ApplicationSupport folder. I do have the Library/LaunchDaemons one. Guess it won't hurt to set up the notification of changes he suggests.

Lisa

OP
cradom
Reaction score
I've done that on some folders before. I found out you need to be careful what folders you set up. Those popups can get old quick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, for me, it is a new experience. So far nothing has happened but I guess I look at it as a new learning experience. And I have a lot to learn when it comes to OS X.

Lisa

OP
cradom
Reaction score
I was wondering exactly how it was getting on machines. Lots of idiots wanting Yosemite and getting it however they can.
Possibly other pirated apps too. Need to stay away from the 'Bay' and torrents people.
If you don't, it's your own fault if you catch something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not trying to make light of what might be a serious threat, but there's an abundance of misinformation on this out there.

You are right. I figured with any type of malware (virus,trojan, etc.) there was probably a download involved, whether email or software. Pirated software would make perfect sense.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Quote from the article:
"Apple may potentially be able to disrupt the botnet through OS X's silent malware definition updates. So far, though, iWorm has gone unchecked."

A user on Apple Discussions reported that his /etc/hosts file was modified with
127.0.0.1 swscan.apple.com

This shunts Mac Software Update querries to localhost, probably killing Update Notification.
I'm no expert, but this seems pretty sneaky.

Reaction score
I'm new to Mac as I plan to switch from PC to Mac in a few months. On PCs, I usually just purchase antivirus software that monitored things like this and practice "safe-computing" (only use legit software from trusted sources, don't click links in emails, etc.).

I'm just now looking into Mac software as I plan for the switch. Do Mac users usually run anti-virus and do Mac anti-virus providers stay on top of things like this to prevent them from happening on the computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am sure there will be others that chime on this topic too! 99% of mac owners do not run a separate antivirus program. The vast majority of "malware" - 99% - is written for Windows. Safe computing goes a long way to avoid problems. Even with the iWorm it seems you had to be asking for it by downloading from questionable sites.

Apple has an in-house antivirus called xProtect built in that is very quiet, updates in the background and has already updated to confront the new iWorm threat.

That said, I have just earned my first year pin for owning Macs. I started this venture installing a wide variety of antivirus products. I just had to try them all! I do have strong opinions on clamXav, avast, kaspersky, and comodo some work better than others. As to do they stay updated on Mac viruses, rumor is they don't.

The bottom line is this - of all that I tried the only thing they ever caught were infected emails carrying virus that were written for Windows systems. It is very hard for a recovering Windows-aholic to let go of antivirus but in all honesty it isn't needed.

I suggest you do what I do - read, read, read. This forum is awesome for keeping up with what is going on. You will quickly figure out who really knows the inside info that will be relevant to what you need to keep yourself informed.

Good luck with your conversion! If you are just experiencing OS X for the first time there will be a learning curve so give it time, ask questions here, and you will soon be an expert.

Lisa

OP
cradom
Reaction score
What she said :)
If you absolutely must run anti-virus due to work, the best is ClamX.
It's not an 'active' scanner and does not hog resources.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.