Installing OS 9 on Clamshell iBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
I wonder if anyone can help me here - I have an Indigo Clamshell and it appears the firmware is not the latest so I'm trying to update it.

I have a 20gb hard drive with Tiger installed and a retail OS 9.2.1 disc.

Steps taken so far:-

1) Booted to iPartition disc and shrunk the Tiger partition to make free space

2) Booted to OS 9 disc; can't initialise drive

3) Booted back into iPartition, made free space into MacOS extended partition entitled OS_9

4) Booted into OS 9 disc again; still can't initialise without wiping the whole hard drive

At this point I am stumped - I don't want to lose my Tiger install if I can help after all the hard work setting it up - is there any non-destructive way of installing OS 9 to the partiton I have set up ready?
I have a complete backup of Tiger on a firewire drive (using Carbon Copy Cloner) so if there are no other options I could reformat the hard drive, install OS 9 to a small partition and restore Tiger to the larger one, but it's always one of those 'will it really work' things you need to take a deep breath before trying.

If that's the case, then how much space do I need for OS 9.2.1 + maybe a few apps, and I assume it needs to be the first partition; my Tiger restore on the second?

Thanks very much

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You can install OS9 to the same partition as Tiger (it will just add another folder at the root level of the hard disk - called system folder) - it will not take up much room

OP
hugtheslug
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately you have to actually boot to an OS 9 installation on an internal drive to upgrade the firmware; I already have Classic on my Tiger install but the firmware updater gave me an error and the above info.
I even tried selecting the Classic folder as startup disc, but it was a no go.

Hugh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You should be able to boot directly into an installation of OS9 using the start-up disk preference pane or by pressing the alt key during start-up.

OP
hugtheslug
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope, sorry, won't do it. I just get a flashing icon, then I have to boot into the Tiger CD to reset the startup disc.

Looks like I'm going to have to allow OS 9 to wipe the hard drive, then restore my Tiger backup later.
I have more faith in Carbon Copy Cloner now as I had to do a complete restore to my MacBook recently.

Hugh

OP
hugtheslug
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone for your help, I finally decided to allow the OS 9 disc to format the hard drive and installed it

Firmware now updated, and Tiger installation restored perfectly with Carbon Copy

Hugh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.