Inquiring about MBP screen and battery replacement

Reaction score
Hi. I have a early 2011 15 inch macbook pro 2.2 ghz with the discrete gpu/high res antiglare.
Everything works fine on it, save for the fact the lcd has gone, and the battery is comepletely fried.

My plan is to get it repaired and sell it/buy a newer model, but I have a few questions.

1) How much should each of these parts cost, (battery/lcd)

2)What would be a good end goal sale for this model in perfect condition?

3) what would the comouter, all parts working sans screen/battery, be worth itself. (computer still works while plugged in, you can still use an external monitor.

Thanks.

Last edited:
C

chas_m

The only thing I know for sure is that a reputable battery (ie not one prone to exploding/catching fire) will cost around $120.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Everything works fine on it, save for the fact the lcd has gone, and the battery is comepletely fried.

Everything works fine except the LCD and battery. Aren't these two things sort of major items?? This is kind of like saying a parachute works fine except for the big hole in it.;)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Everything works fine except the LCD and battery. Aren't these two things sort of major items?? This is kind of like saying a parachute works fine except for the big hole in it.;)

- Nick

Well, if the parachute needed to be plugged into a seperate moniter, and constantly plugged into the wall, then yes haha. The guts work, the main expense works.
Im wondering because I was quoted 500 to get these pieces/fix it. I'm still crunching weather its worth to fix and sell, or sell as is.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, if the parachute needed to be plugged into a seperate moniter, and constantly plugged into the wall, then yes haha. The guts work, the main expense works.

Guess what??…we are talking about a laptop computer. Two MAJOR aspects of a laptop computer are…the built-in display…and being able to work independently of "wall electricity"…via an internal battery. If the display & battery on a laptop computer are not working…then these are MAJOR issues. If you're on the beach in Miami, Florida…you're not going to have access to an external monitor & "wall electricity"!;)

That's why describing this computer as "Everything works fine on it, save for the fact the lcd has gone, and the battery is comepletely fried."…is a very very poor way of describing it's condition.

Im wondering because I was quoted 500 to get these pieces/fix it. I'm still crunching weather its worth to fix and sell, or sell as is.

Easy answer. It's probably not worth fixing and selling. It's probably not worth fixing & keeping either. This situation is very very very common. Repairing older Macintosh computers that have major problems (yes a non-working display and non-working battery on a laptop are major issues)…in many cases…is not worth it.

You need to do some math. Go to eBay…and see how much 100% working units are selling for. Then take how much money you have invested in this computer + the repair costs.

- If this number is GREATER than the eBay prices for 100% working units…then repairing it does not make sense.
- If this number is SMALLER than the eBay prices for 100% working units…then repairing it does make sense.

* Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks Nick! I don't believe I would of understood the words "greater" and "smaller" without such devout sarcasm and excessive punctuation.

Theyre are individuals out there that would buy a laptop and never move it from theyre television/workplace. Im not one of them or, or I wouldnt be inquiring. Though this may be the demographic I'lI have to sell to.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick! I don't believe I would of understood the words "greater" and "smaller" without such devout sarcasm and excessive punctuation.

The caps were for emphasis…not sarcasm.:) I'm not sure how "excessive punctuation" relates to the greater/smaller statements.:Confused:

Theyre are individuals out there that would buy a laptop and never move it from theyre television/workplace. Im not one of them or, or I wouldnt be inquiring. Though this may be the demographic I'lI have to sell to.

This possibility is not being debated.:) What's being debated is describing a laptop computer with a non-functioning display & battery as "Everything works fine on it, save for…".

If we wanted to go this route…we could also say..."Everything works fine on it, save for…".:

- bad display
- bad battery
- bad trackpad
- bad keyboard
- bad speakers
- etc.

Of course we could attach an:

- external display
- external keyboard
- external mouse
- external speakers
- and plug it into the wall for power

But I don't think that using the words "Everything works fine on it, save for…" really fits if we have to all of this to a laptop to use it!;)

When the word "everything" is used…everything should work…period. Otherwise it should be described as…"Partially functioning MacBook Pro. Bad display and bad battery.":)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Okay maybe I described the situation a little better to convince myself. Trying to see this very expensive glass of water as half full.

Im not sure if your implying the speakers/trackpad/keyboard doesnt work (they do), or that with this "glorified mini", those peripherials would be needed regardless. If it's the latter, I see what you mean.

Well. I guess my last quetion would be, what woukd be a decent asking price for this "mac mini".

The logic board and guts are no more then a year and a half old. It was replaced after the incident a year and a half ago, when me and the "professionals" were under the impression that would be the only fix recquired.

$ $ : (

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay maybe I described the situation a little better to convince myself. Trying to see this very expensive glass of water as half full.

Maybe so.:) If just some little things were wrong with it (like a couple keys missing, power cord frayed, a couple dents or scratches)…then I would agree that using the phrase "Everything works fine on it, save for…" might be ok.:)

But a bad display and a bad battery really are major things…making that statement a bit "too positive".;)

Im not sure if your implying the speakers/trackpad/keyboard doesnt work (they do)…

Nope…not implying that.:) I was simply suggesting (a theoretical example) of an even worse situation where a lot of things could be non-working on a laptop (and could be solved by attaching external hardware). Someone using the phrase…"Everything works fine on it, save for…"…in this situation/example is not really the best way of describing the situation.;)

Well. I guess my last quetion would be, what woukd be a decent asking price for this "mac mini".

Got to check eBay to see what other non-100% working laptops of this model are selling for. But as an example…let's say a 100% working 2011 15" MBP is selling for $750 (I haven't checked, so I don't know don't know for sure).

As you know…it's going to cost a lot to get the display working (you mentioned "500")…and a battery is going to cost 100+.

Basically see what other partially working units are selling for…then list your's with a reasonable reserve price (if selling on eBay)…and see where things go. The "market" will set a fair price for it.

The logic board and guts are no more then a year and a half old. It was replaced after the incident a year and a half ago, when me and the "professionals" were under the impression that would be the only fix recquired.

A "logic board and guts" that were replaced 1.5 years ago adds no additional value…compared to a same age unit with it's original logic board.

A 2011 15" MBP with new parts or original parts is worth the same (other than maybe a brand new battery…which may be more appealing to folks).

Good luck,:)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the help nick. The 500 was a total for battery/hi res screen/actual work.
That being said they sell on ebay for about 900-1200 Cad. so I guess to save a hassle at first, ill attempt to sell mine for 500 less, and if no fish bite I guess the only option may be to order the pieces myself and get it repaired. I assume I would be able to order quality replacement parts that they would use, cuttin out the middle man and saving a bit?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I assume I would be able to order quality replacement parts that they would use, cuttin out the middle man and saving a bit?

If you order your own parts…and do the installation of the parts yourself…you should definitely be able to fix the computer for less overall $$$ (compared to having it done professionally…parts & labor).

And if you do everything yourself…the total value (current broken value + repairs) could very well be low enough that you could sell it and come out with a profit…or at least break even.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.