Importing iPad to Europe

Reaction score
Hello,
i live in Holland and can't wait for the iPad to be released in The Netherlands.
Now i read on some sites that the iPad is only in the vs avaible on 3april. And in the end of april in France and germany. I don't want to wait that long, so I was wondering if I could order the iPad in the VS and let it ship to the Netherlands.
Or would the iPad (just wifi version) not work over here??

Grtzz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
The wifi version will work anywhere, I don't know if Apple will ship outside of the U.S. before the international release date. It will most likely be available on ebay and Amazon within hours of it's release on April 3rd.

Reaction score
They won't ship it (same problem going to APO) our of the USA. You would have to find a third party shipper that is willing to receive it and then resend it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I think all the hassle for it to be shipped to your country is really not worth it. Plus the fact you will have to buy a power convertor as the USA's power outlets in their walls might be a different amperage or wattage so you might also need a power converter to your countries wattage to USA wattage to recharge the ipad.

Much easier to save the money and hassle and wait a month or two. I know annoying but at least you will have heard all the praises and complaints of the ipad in that waiting time by US customers and will know what to do and not to do with your ipad by the time you get it.

Reaction score
buying in US

Depending on exchange rates in can be much much cheaper to buy in the US even if you need a voltage convertor. The iPod touch was a bargain in NYC last October and I had to restrain myself from buying one (I didn't need one but it was so cheap I just felt I had to buy one ha,ha!).
I'm back in NYC again this coming October, my question is IF the £/$ rate was ok and I bought an iPad in the States would it work in the UK? Are the wireless frequencies fairly universal?
I suppose if my phone works wirelessly in the US an iPad would work the same in the UK????
Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I don't have any proof of this, but I just assumed the iPad would charge via a USB cable or an iPhone charger. Worst case scenario, you just charge it of your Mac.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hmm, I think I need to wait then to buy an iPad.
But I do think I can imprt one from France or Germany, because that countries does have the same voltage, amperage, an wattage.
Then I just have to wait till the end of April:D

Grtzz

C

chas_m

1. First of all, an iPad charger would be like all the other chargers Apple makes, and works with non-US voltages just fine, all you need is a plug adapter (assuming you're not charging it via a computer).

2. To quote from the press release: "Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and the UK" will get the first non-US batch of iPads. If you were going to "import" it from anywhere, surely Germany would be the logical choice? How far are you from their border or reasonable-sized town, really? Couldn't you just drive over and get one? :)

Reaction score
Anyone wanna make some money and buy me an iPad?

Hi. I live in Norway and am really eager on getting my hands on an iPad.
I was wondering if anyone in the US would be so kind to buy me a 16 GB WIFI only-version and ship it to me?

I will pay you $600 if you pay the shipping (which means you'd probably get a good profit from just buying two instead of one and only use like 10 minutes to ship it.

Anyone interested?

I would really appreciate it.

:)

Reaction score
Buying an ipad in europe

Hi everyone,
I live in Sweden. I purchased an iPad from the USA paying with American Express from the applestore/us. My post code is 41311 in Sweden. My iPad was sent to Kentucky somewhere in the US.
After many phone calls, I was finally able to cancel the peurhase with extras (over 1000.00 dollars). They refuse to send it anywhere outside the us.
When asked when will it be available in europe they said not for ages yet.
DON'T believe everything on their website.
I love apple and all things apple, but **** it i want my iPad.
My suggestion to everyone is to just wait no matter how much it hurts, it will come and i think it will be worth the wait. Let the yanks find all the bugs first and then maybe we get the finished working product.
Good luck to all

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I wonder if it'll even work if you send it to another country. Since you have to activate it via iTunes will iTunes recognize that it's not US and then not activate?

That would be really bad news for all those peole who flew to the US just to buy one last Saturday.

Reaction score
here is the deal

the time and cost it takes to get an ipad sent to europe and the VAT taxes you are better off waiting, as for the wifi it will work so long as you are on a WIFI hotspot. as for the cellular connection. i.e. vodafone service or what ever you guys use in europe this will most likely NOT work due to the many differences in network protocols and band frequencies. for example we use HSDP CDMA and variants of GSM also EVDO which are provider specific. europe uses UMTS GSM+ VARIANTS of EVDO and LTE. which we dont exactly have yet. or we do just not like you guys do. activation, NO ipad will not activate properly in europe with u.s. version. i know that europe is years ahead of our cellular systems. this is why they are made specifically for your countries. sadly i returned my i-pad 3 days later i was not impressed. the following were missing, no external usb port no card readers no firewire just a place to plug in the power thats it...

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I live in Sweden. I purchased an iPad from the USA paying with American Express from the applestore/us. My post code is 41311 in Sweden. My iPad was sent to Kentucky somewhere in the US.
After many phone calls, I was finally able to cancel the peurhase with extras (over 1000.00 dollars). They refuse to send it anywhere outside the us.
When asked when will it be available in europe they said not for ages yet.
DON'T believe everything on their website.
I love apple and all things apple, but **** it i want my iPad.
My suggestion to everyone is to just wait no matter how much it hurts, it will come and i think it will be worth the wait. Let the yanks find all the bugs first and then maybe we get the finished working product.
Good luck to all
dude you sent somebody in beattyville kentucky a free i- pad thats is very kind i wonder if they are gonna give it back.????:Smirk:

Reaction score
I live in S-GRAVENZANDE in Holland. I ordered my iPad on April 9th from GSM Nation, No.1 resource for unlocked phones, They accept paypal and the device left the same day and was delivered on April 12th. I had no problems activating it on iTunes. I did pay a higher price but the device is awesome and I might be one the very few people who have it! For me its well worth it!! I love the device!!

Reaction score
Hello,

I've actually got a iPad and I am in the uk - I got a third party to send me one - everything is fine and nothing doesn't work - regarding the charger it's the typical apple ones which have removable fronts and because I have a spare iPhone charger I took the uk thing of my iPhone charger (they just slide off) and stuck it on my iPad one which works perfectly now.

However I got knocked £91 in fees - which was a combination of VAT and handling fees - I don't mind tho because the iPad is now delayed until May.

It's cool now I'm on it right now!

Reaction score
buying apps

This is a post with a question for all the guys that actually have an ipad in europe.

basically i keep reading that there will be problems with the activation. clearly you guys on this forum tell me there arent any. please double confirm this as im buying one soon and will activate it in europe.

another worrying thing i read is that after activating it in europe with an european apple account (european address) and an european credit card that you cant buy any apps through the itunes store. IS THIS TRUE?!? did any of you guys buy any apps in europe after activating it in europe?

please let me know since these are makers or breakers for me for buying it. im a dutch guy living in portugal and i also dont want to wait any longer and i go to the states on a regular basis myself for work.

aprreciate any feedback!!

enjoy the Ipad
rigid :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
itouch,mac pro,imac,mini,mac book pro,appletv
activation of i pad 2 in europe

if the answer to this exists please forward links - not good at sifting through these forums
I recently sent ipad 1 wifi/3g to hungary (family) and i am being told they cant activate it
it was used and registered in my name but before sending i wiped it out to original status. showed original screen requesting it be plugged in to activate

i dont have all the specs just told they cant activate it.

any info

i know the 3g wont work without plan or provider who uses mini sim card?
but that i'm not worried about
all we are looking to do is activate the device to use the wifi or just load it up off the itunes sync

whats the deal?
i see other people are purchasing ipad in the states and getting them overseas
its family so if i must give him my account info i can but that just doesn't make any sense to me that i cant reactivate the device in Europe

thank you for your time

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.