• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Importing 1080p into iMovie '11

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21½" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac, 12GB Crucial RAM
i looked through the forums, did a Google search, and I still can't find the answer. I've had no problem importing video off my Samsung WB150F into iMovie '11 or my Nokia Lumia 925 cell phone. I recently did a software update on my Nokia and now can shoot in 1080p, so I tried it.

...but when I import in 1080p MP4, it says it's importing in under a minute (normally takes like 15 minutes for 720p). I see the clip in iMovie '11 but it plays audio only. Will iMovie '11 support 1080p?

- on a side note, I am buying a Panasonic HX-WA30 that'll shoot in 1920x1080 @ 60i but now I'm worried it won't import into iMovie '11. What is a good solution? Is there another editing program I should be using for YouTube movies?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Will iMovie '11 support 1080p?
It should do. I've imported rewrapped 1080p AVCHD from a JVC camcorder and 1080p .mov from an iPad without a problem.

OP
Phacade
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Normally when I import movies into iMovie, it takes a little bit. Say I have 20 movies I'm pulling off my digital camera or my cell phone, it might take 10-15 minutes. No problem! But when I try to import a 1080p movie, it says it will take 1 minute...way too short! After it imports, the thumbnail is visable in the timeline in iMovie, but its frozen; quite literally a thumbnail. Audio only for that particular clip. Clips on either side that are 720p will play if I hover and drag my cursor across them.

...oddly enough, I can take 720p movies and 1080p movies off the SAME CAMERA, but iMovie will only accept the 720p movies (seemingly). Like I said, the 1080p seem to import, but the import is far too short a time and its a frozen thumbnail only with audio that plays for the 1080p. 720p plays both audio and video.

Last edited:
OP
Phacade
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well its hardly a solution, but since nobody else had a solution, I am downgrading each video to 720p in MPEG StreamClip and its transferring into iMovie just fine. Strange...

(so time-consuming!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Is your cellphone not picked up by iPhoto for movies? That's where video from my iPhone and digital stills camera gets imported into.

OP
Phacade
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I found a partial answer. It seems that, after the Win 8.1 upgrade on my Nokia Lumia, all video taken now has an unscaled size, so iMovie will take the audio but not the video. I have successfully imported 720p and 1080p movies from three other cameras and camcorders into iMovie successfully; so it looks like the problem is...

(wait for it)

...my Windows phone.

Reaction score
Might not be let me explain:

There is a app for windows phones in the app store called windows phone

the app allows the transferring of the video to your computer it also allows the microsoft zune mp3 player to work on mac as well.

Great that transfers the video but then what???

Download VLC and use the convert media stream function in Vlc convert it into a mp4 file instead of a HDvideo format then you should be able to use it in iMovie and up convert the movie back into 1080p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.