Import List Into Reminders

Reaction score
Okay, you would think that this would be easy, but I can't figure it out.

I have a list of dates that I want to be reminded of. Mostly birthdays. The list is a simple text file
I'd like to be able to import the list into Reminders, so that I can set an alarm for each date to remind me of the upcoming occasion.

I would expect to be able to cut and paste the list into Reminders. But no matter which way I try to do it, I end up with the entire list being one entry.

I've looked at various tutorials, and hints that folks have posted, with no joy. (So I don't need to be pointed to Google.)

I've tried using the Share command, and I've tried using Notes as an intermediary including translating things into a bullet list first.

Anyone have any insight into this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Okay, you would think that this would be easy, but I can't figure it out.

I have a list of dates that I want to be reminded of. Mostly birthdays. The list is a simple text file
I'd like to be able to import the list into Reminders, so that I can set an alarm for each date to remind me of the upcoming occasion.

I'll reserve my comments about Apple's Reminders as they are not exactly complimentary or constructive, but I did come across this that you might be able to use, but not a straightforward import as you are wanting but it might get you close to what you were needing:

Import List Into Reminders

Note the important step to use the checkmark icon in the menu that apparently separates each item as their own.

It just might work for your use, and here's hoping it will. ;-)

- Patrick
=======

OP
Randy B. Singer
Reaction score
I'll reserve my comments about Apple's Reminders as they are not exactly complimentary or constructive,

No, I'm right there with you. The program seems to be the rare dud for Apple. Why did Apple think that this was an adequate program? Even worse, I've used better similar programs, but they are all gone now because Apple has cornered the market with Reminders.

but I did come across this that you might be able to use

Thank you. It was the first thing that I came across in my original Google search. I tried it right off, and I was very hopeful, but I ended up with all of my listings in one reminder in Reminders.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Even worse, I've used better similar programs, but they are all gone now because Apple has cornered the market with Reminders.

That, is probably another reason that I lag behind in the Mac OS versions I use, and after fantastical kept insisting I keep updating in order to use it, it outgrew its usefulness for my use and I have been very happy using an older utility for any Events and Eeminders which is Calendar 366 Plus.app.

I would suggest giving it a try closet does not seem to have any type of import listing as you want to do, but maybe it's later version does:

What I have trouble understanding with such apps and utilities and Apples MacOS itself is what exactly the difference is between Events and Reminders, and the way they get treated is often at odds with the way I would think they would or should be treated.

I'm sorry that the Import List Into Reminders didn't work for you and I am sure I had something installed on my back some years ago weather at was some services or control click on a highlighed date would allow it to be added to iCal or calendar, but nothing similar seems to work anymore even in Mac OS Mavericks 10.9.5.

Sorry I can't seem to be able to help.

Something tells me there is something out there that would work, but we are unable to find it at present.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Randy B. Singer
Sorry I can't seem to be able to help.

Something tells me there is something out there that would work, but we are unable to find it at present.

I just came across this and it reminded me of your problem and wondered if it would work for you???

Not exactly a one-step import, but that might save a lot of typing to enter the birthdates etc in to wherever it is you want to put them, assuming you could get it to work.

System-wide Insert Date & Time

It looks like it might work... ;-)

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.