imovie a devil's invention?

Reaction score
I'e been trying to upload a 10 min imovie to youtube and / or vimeo for 3 days now. the file is 1.5 gb but i tried to upload/save it in the smallest version (400 MB) , still if i try to upload it to desktop or youtube it still loads to do it in "best quality" (taking about a year of upload time if you live in Australia with terrible www speed) Is there a way to save all my work outsides of imovie and make it usable on the web? Or do I have to throw it away and start from scratch? I start thinking imovie is the worst of all mac inventions, but would love for anyone to convince me of the contrary.... especially if I wouldn't have to throw out days and days of work... jj

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Did iMovie give you all the tools to create your movie? Do you like the way the movie turned out after you were done? Does it play well on your machine in the various formats?

If the answer to all of that is yes, then iMovie did its job.

What you do with the output of iMovie and how you share it is a different story. If you have terrible Internet upload speeds, perhaps you should've thought about that before creating a 1.5GB or even 400MB file to upload to various sites..

Perhaps you should try to reduce the movie resolution/size to see if that will reduce the overall size of the video file and allow you to upload it to the sharing sites..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Is there a way to save all my work outsides of imovie and make it usable on the web?
Yes, there is, but you need to tell us which version of iMovie you are using.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.