• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie 08 iPhoto not accessible

Reaction score
I have recently upgraded my iMac OS and the original iMovie 08 now acting strange in that photos don't show in iPhoto folder. In fact the folder icon is crossed out and a new folder appears but this new folder is not linked to iMovie. Resulting I cannot import photos. Video files can be imported fine but not photos. Do anyone know how to resolve this? What is a compatibility if I upgrade iMovie to version 09? I know version 10 is not compatible with my OS 10.11

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
iMovie 08 never was a great success. iMovie v9(more commonly known as iMovie 11 as it was part of iLife 11) was a vast improvement.

Download this:

Now this is an update, and you normally need iMovie v9 to install it. However, follow this on YouTube and it should work. I've not tried it but many say that it works fine.

OP
K
Reaction score
iMovie 08 never was a great success. iMovie v9(more commonly known as iMovie 11 as it was part of iLife 11) was a vast improvement.

Download this:

Now this is an update, and you normally need iMovie v9 to install it. However, follow this on YouTube and it should work. I've not tried it but many say that it works fine.
Thanks for the link but I don't have OS Sierra(OS 10.12). The youtube link refers to this is for Sierra and I don't think it is for me. I only have El Capitan OS 10.11

OP
K
Reaction score
It looks like iPhoto is an application and needs upgrade. But Apple Store doesn't have - what should I use instead?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It looks like iPhoto is an application and needs upgrade. But Apple Store doesn't have - what should I use instead?

iPhoto was replaced by "Photos" a long time ago. You are way behind.... ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
OP
K
Reaction score
Oh.. thank you
The last time I used iMovie was about 10 years ago and never had to look back into iPhoto until now it seems.
But there are lots of Photos something apps and not just Photos. Which app would work with iMovie if not Photos?
Photo Transfer App, Fotor Photo Editor, PhotoSync, SuperPhoto etc etc

OP
K
Reaction score
What version of iPhoto are you running?

See here for any updates,

Thank you Bob as always. The current version is 7.1.5 so I went downwards from 9.4 then I had to have 9.1 so similarly I had gone down to 8.1 then its started to say that the installation cannot be done as prompted “iPhoto_804.pkg” can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.
So upgrade this way via Apple link doesn't seem to work. Why would it say that? Very unfortunate.

Maybe I should upgrade iMovie as well? It is currently 7.1.4

What does this mark mean, a slash in a circle over an app icon? If this is disabling the iMovie to link iPhoto I will need to somehow enable this app, rather than upgrade, as I cannot upgrade it seems.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 03.29.22.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 03.29.22.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
The OS is giving you that message saying it is from an unknown developer, but you can still allow the installation if you were to open System Preferences > Security & Privacies. There is [usually] an option to "allow anyway".

That symbol in this situation means the app will not work. It is probably missing some files needed for operation.

OP
K
Reaction score
The OS is giving you that message saying it is from an unknown developer, but you can still allow the installation if you were to open System Preferences > Security & Privacies. There is [usually] an option to "allow anyway".

That symbol in this situation means the app will not work. It is probably missing some files needed for operation.
thanks for this. I tried it again and strangely again version 8.1 and 8.0 didn't work this time it says the installation is not necessary. So I tried to install 7.1.5 so hoping to replace the possible 'corrupted' app - no change. At an attempt to open the app it prompted that the app is not compatible with El Capitan. Not resolved therefore unfortunately..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Thanks for the link but I don't have OS Sierra(OS 10.12). The youtube link refers to this is for Sierra and I don't think it is for me. I only have El Capitan OS 10.11
OK. I didn't notice that you had El Capitan. iMovie 11 had a problem with El Capitan anyway. Photos inserted into iMovie Projects just displayed black.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.