iMessages freezes/wont send/wont delete

Reaction score
Ok. So I'll start by saying I've seen other people post this question. But I haven't seen any replies. So I'm starting my own thread to hope apple finally admits there is a problem with iMessage and addresses it.

My iPhone 5s. A year old. Won't delete old messages. No matter what I do. They end up coming back. Its eating up space. I've heard of others having this problem. I've tried deleting one at a time. I've tried deleting a bunch. The only thing that permanently gets rid of them, is if i start fresh. Which I don't really want to do. My 4s started doing this but that was after I had it for 2+ years. So I got the 5s. Now that its doing it in a year of owning it, I'm seriously considering android.

Second problem, and definitely the larger one, is that iMessage freezes up at least once a day. If not more. It will attempt to send a message, but freeze on the last little bit. When one message freezes up, that's it, my messages won't work at all. Can't send or receive anything Doesn't matter if i try to message someone else. etc. The other night I didn't notice it happened, and for over an hour it just didn't send or recieve anything. Just sat there, then suddenly, boom half a dozen messages from the last hour. I've attached an image of it freezing on the last bit of the send bar.

IMG_3166.PNG

It'll freeze like that for 10+ minutes sometimes. And during that time. I can't do ANYTHING. If I press the home button to close the iMessage app, I'm screwed. I can use other apps, but iMessage won't come up at all. Unless I restart my phone at least once, if not a couple times. If I click on iMessage, this is what I will see.

IMG_3167.PNG

For several minutes. And the phone is completely frozen. Pressing the home button doesn't do anything. I can't exit iMessage. I can lock it, turn it off, or reset it. But yeah, that's about it. And if I do leave iMessage to do its thing for 10+ minutes? This is what I see.

IMG_3168.PNG

New message? That's not what I want! So I click cancel. And this is what I see.

IMG_3169.PNG

An empty messages screen. Until I either restart it, reset it, etc. Whatever.

This time it only froze for a minute or so. But, look at how much battery it used. 2 percent in a minute? This error happens all the time, and it CHEWS through battery. Not only that, the phone gets EXTREMELY hot when it tries to send a message and it won't work. I can't hold it with my bare hand hot. Its dangerous honestly.

I assume its some sort of runaway memory error that eats into it, but whatever it is, its frustrating. What good is a phone that won't text? That completely freezes up and locks up at will almost daily?

Like I said. I've seen other topics about not being able to delete old messages. But I haven't seen one where it won't send and it locks up the whole iMessage thing. I think its some memory error with messages. I've tried deleting old messages, butttt it won't actually delete them. I've set my thing to delete messages over a year old, but that didn't work either. I don't know. I've restarted and updated, I've wiped and restored from backup. I've tried everything short of wipe and not restore. And I'd rather not do that.

If anyone has come across this and has a fix. Or if apple has a fix. Let me know. If not, I guess I'm going android.

OP
L
Reaction score
I've tried searches. I've tried everything for deleting messages. I don't even care that I can't delete them. I'm just tired of having my phone freeze up every day. With no warning. Just boom, doesn't send. Then its 15+ minutes of me messing with it to reset it and get messages sending again.

I don't use iCloud. It doesn't do it when I try to sync. It just does it whenever it feels like. I've had it happen when I've been at a restaurant. At a friends house. At home. In another city. Doesn't matter. Just whenever it feels like doing it.

It started like a month ago. I've been trying everything. Absolutely everything. I'm a heavy text user. I text 10+ people at any given time during the day. So you can see the frustration here. I went through apple support to see if they had a fix. And they want 35 bucks to even start a support thing for it. I'm not paying 35 bucks for a phone that's a year old. That's just crap in my opinion. And not good customer service.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Seems you are not the only one. I did some searching and found this seems to be an issue. Here are some of what popped up when I googled the issue:

https://www.google.com/search?clien...ls=en&q=iMessage+fails+to+delete+old+messages

I see your carrier is Virgin Mobile. I did come across some articles about issues with imessage and Virgin Mobile. But I am not convinced from what you describe that your carrier is the problem. It seems to be more of an iOS issue.

I will suggest if you have not installed all recent updates that you do so. But I would guess you have. I wish I had a quick fix solution. Check out the links I posted which seem to offer all kinds of possible solutions. Maybe one of them will help.

Lisa

Reaction score
iMessage keeps freezing - Verizon user

This is my first time chiming in here - I specifically registered for this forum because of this topic, so I hope someone sees this. I've been running into this exact same issue at least once every week or so, and it's infuriating. I lose tons of battery, my phone heats up to dangerous temps, and I'm constantly unable to send or receive texts so my friends think i'm ignoring them when I simply never see anything.

Every other app works, but even after hard resets and resetting my network settings, it still won't allow me to toggle on iMessage and begin texting again unless I just let it sit there for 30 min or so. Anybody have any solutions? I'm currently sitting here with my phone on airplane mode while I let iMessage (hopefully) sort itself out.

Thanks,
Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Well Dave welcome to the forums, but I can't help, but it sure would be helpful for the gurus if you could at least include some specs, like model iPhone, iOS version, ISP etc., etc.

Patrick
=====

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.