iMail back-up

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Time Machine which should already be on your Mac, or Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper; both available to buy.

OP
R
Reaction score
Yes, I do have an iMac, but I am wondering what happens if my mac breaks down and I do not have the iMail folders backed-up on an external HD.

thanks!
Ron

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you have a backup you should be able to restore from that whether it is done by Time Machine or one of the other programs mentioned. Without a backup any e-mail not stored on the providers server would be lost. Of the hard drive were to remain intact the e-mail could be restored from there although removing the drive to place in an enclosure can be interesting in some models.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mIni *2013 macbook air *2011-itouch G4 32 gb (new repair projects:iMac G4 2002* imac g5 2007*
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
How can I back-up my e-mails to an extern HD

Hi Ron - you might want to tell us 'what' kind of email accounts your have? There are two main ones for incoming mail: POP3 or IMAP - POP3 is like the mailman, i.e. once the mail is delivered to your mailbox (think computer HD), then that's the only copy and backup is important; OTOH, in IMAP, the mail is kept on the server of the mail client you are using so deletion can occur at various levels - you need to understand the difference.

As an example, I used mainly Yahoo Mail - below is a screen capture of Apple Mail opened to my account; all of the folders on the left are on the Yahoo servers - now I can delete information in these folders from my computer @ home or using Yahoo Mail via a browser but if my computer went down and my mail was still w/ Yahoo, I should be able to retrieve it - SO, we need to know how your mail is setup.

Screen Shot 2015-01-03 at 6.39.16 PM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.